New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless problem with iMac & Apple Tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

4bp

4bp is on a distinguished road

Hi All
wonder if someone can help me.
i have just bought an new 27"iMac and Apple TV.
My problem is that i cant seem find a place for my router in my house where i can get a signal on both.
if i put the router downstairs the apple TV can pick up the network but my iMac cant, and vice versa. My house isnt that big. i managed to get the 2 working briefly, but the signal on the apple tv was only 2 bars and therefore didnt work that great.
do i need to change the channel on my router.
will buying a time capsule enhance the distance of my network and make it work better throughout the house?
its starting to drive me mad!
Please can someone help me and tell me where i should first put my router. whats the best way of boosting the signal and if there is anything else i can do to make sure that everything works like it is suppossed to!
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Have you checked the power settings for wireless on the router?? Make sure they are not set too low.
QUOTE Thanks
4bp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Have you checked the power settings for wireless on the router?? Make sure they are not set too low.
thanks for the reply...dont want to sound like an idiot....BUT.....how do i do this?
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Without knowing what hardware you are working with it is hard to say specifically where to look. Get into your router and look under Wireless settings, or advanced wireless. You are looking for transmit power, wireless power, etc. Sometimes these are set too low and need to be changed. 1 is the lowest setting and 10 will be your highest. Experiment with this if your router has the setting.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

To extend on JohnCL's post..you can usually access your router's settings by typing in the IP 192.168.1.1 into your browser.
QUOTE Thanks
4bp

thanks for the replies, will try this when i get home!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do i turn off arrow in airport icon on toolbar? turn off airport base stn? | book on network technology? »