New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

adsl router to adsl router over telephone line

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pujan14

pujan14 is on a distinguished road

Hi friends i'm trying to make some arrangement to make my two adsl routers work over a telephone line
generally in adsl router you plug in a telephone line set it up and you can use internet
What i want is one end of telephone line is in modem A and the other end is in modem B and i want to create network over simple telephone line

It will be something like PC A <--> Modem A<-->Telephone line<-->Modem B<-->PC B

i don't know how to do it but i know how to make modem work and change it's settings accordingly

Thanks for your help in advance
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

As far as I know you can't "network" over phone lines. You would need to connect both PCs to one modem if you want to create a local network (or one pc to the modem, and one pc to the other pc).

The only other option is creating a VPN: Virtual private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which can use the internet to simulate a local network.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
pujan14

i'm trying to use it over actual telephone line as we have no charges for local calls i can call my buddy and after some tweaking we can use existing telephone line to create network between two of us
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

You would need a router capable of wireless internet or a string Ethernet chords throughout your home. Internet service is provided by AT&T (comcast would have to run cabling through your house). You can also use a LAN network by way of an ethernet hub, in which case an internet connection is not needed.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
pujan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
You would need a router capable of wireless internet or a string Ethernet chords throughout your home. Internet service is provided by AT&T (comcast would have to run cabling through your house). You can also use a LAN network by way of an ethernet hub, in which case an internet connection is not needed.
my point is to use existing telephone line setup created by telephone company to use to create lan type of envirnment
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Yes, but you need a router connected through the phone from your phone company which will also give you internet.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
pujan14

yes but that again will not be unlimited as we have fixed usage lines
plus in ultimate plan you can't get enough bandwidth
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Security | VPN Quits after 30 minutes »