New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MacBook - Airport Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SnowPrint

SnowPrint is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook5,1

Hello, first post here.

This is the 2nd time I had the same problem. I changed the name of my home network to fix it last time.

I have been successfully connected to my home network for several months. Just today, I have no bars on my airport status. None of my settings have changed on my network. In "Network Diagnostics", all lights are red. When I click on my airport icon, several networks are listed. Many of which are my neighbors (with 1 or no bars), and also my home network is listed (full bars). When I click to connect, it "thinks" for a few seconds and pops up an error message. "Unable to connect to the network <my network>. Please try again."

My network security is WPA2 Personal. When I try to re-enter the password in my network settings, sometimes a new network is listed in my "prefered network" list. <my network> WPA2 Enterprise, along with WPA2 Personal.

My fiance's iBook does not have any problems. Every now and then, she has to re-enter the password, but never any serious problems.

Please help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Unfortunately this occurs sometimes. I have no idea why it happens, (it has also happened to me several times) but I do know how to cure it until the next time it happens.

Before you start the procedure below, hook an ethernet cable from your router to the computer. I'm assuming here that you know how to access your router and make changes. If you don't know how, break out your manual and learn. OK. Reset your router to factory default. That will clear all SSIDs, DNS settings, security and passwords. Be sure you are able to reenter all settings before resetting. (write them down)

Alright, now we have to completely remove the old connection. Here's how:

The first thing to do is open System Preferences, Network, and click on "Airport". Click on "Advanced". Click the Airport tab. Under Preferred Networks, remove your connection SSID (name) by pressing the minus button below and then select "apply". Close System Preferences.

Use the Finder and navigate to: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Move the following two files to your desktop:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, com.apple.network.identification.plist

Close the Finder and go to Applications, Utilities, Keychain Access.app. Run the Keychain Access application. Look for your "Airport Network Password" and delete it. Do not mess with any other passwords or items in the keychain.

Now you can add your connection back. For "Location" you can either use the "Automatic" setting or another of your choice. (I use "home")

Make sure your router is correctly setup with the SSID broadcast on and security set back to WPA2 with whatever password you selected. You should be able to connect now.

If you need any more help, respond back here or PM to me.

By the way, the method I described above is exactly the same as what Apple recommends.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
PrimusSucks

PrimusSucks is on a distinguished road

Hello! I have a problem with my mac.
I feel like i´ve tried all!
Could it be something wrong with the router? I live in a dorm in Norway, and my mac is bought in USA. Everywhere else, the airport-dots is full, this is the only place it doesnt work. It is two routers here, and both of them is "dead". Is seems like some places in the dorm, the network is working just a little. The two other guys with mac here, doesnt have a problem with it. Do you guys have any clues? Im driving nuts!
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Primus sucks!

which network are the other guys connected to?
QUOTE Thanks
PrimusSucks

Hello!
The other guys are connected to the same network as im trying to connect to.
The router is Linksys (some code i dont remember). The funny thing is yesterday I discovered that in a few places, the airport is fine, but in most places id doesnt work at all. I really dont know what to do. Is there some routers that doesnt cooperate with mac. And why does the other macs work? Could it be because mine is from USA? Argh..
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusSucks View Post
Hello!
The other guys are connected to the same network as im trying to connect to.
The router is Linksys (some code i dont remember). The funny thing is yesterday I discovered that in a few places, the airport is fine, but in most places id doesnt work at all. I really dont know what to do. Is there some routers that doesnt cooperate with mac. And why does the other macs work? Could it be because mine is from USA? Argh..
Where you bought it doesn't matter except with power conversion. I'd see if there's somewhere you can plug in ethernet or get to one of the good spots and download the latest updates for Airport and that your settings match these other guys.
QUOTE Thanks
PrimusSucks

Tried it Ive tried to download the latest system update. Can you update just Air port?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusSucks View Post
Tried it Ive tried to download the latest system update. Can you update just Air port?
Apple - Downloads - Firmware & Hardware - Time Capsule and AirPort Base Station Firmware Update 7.4.2

you can try this first. If this doesn't resolve it and your system is totally up-to-date, then it's not the airport card, but OS settings & router settings that are left.

Question: when Airport does have bars, are you able to get online?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time capsule question | Connecting xbox 360 wireless to airport extreme »