New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

upgrading to 802.11n... bad idea?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crows8

crows8 is on a distinguished road

my wireless has been horrible on my 13" Macbook core - duo that i got in late 2006

after many apple store trips no one has been able to fix it short of spending 350 dollars to replace my airport card....so i have decided to just replace my airport card on my own

since im doing this i wanted to do it right and get the best airport card out there which my research has revieled is the 802.11n... which is not compatable with my computer?... but there are ways of getting around that apparently as long as you buy a base station and are able to install the drivers

i guess my question is that is it worth it upgrading to 802.11n? i don't want to buy a base station, so is it even possible? or should i just get another 802.11g

please help, this has been the most frustrating 6 months of my life (as far as computers go)
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Airport cards are backward compatible, meaning they'll do a/b/g/n just fine.

Upgrading the MacBook Pro Core Duo to 802.11n Wireless Connectivity

This article is right up your alley
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I have an 802.11n router at home and my MacBook is also capable of doing 802.11n. Where I work, we use a system that provides 802.11g. I can't tell the difference. There's a difference in download and upload speed because of the type of connection that I have at home versus the office. But as far as transfer speeds or security is concerned, I see no difference.

If you can get the 802.11n airport card to work in your older model MacBook, that's fine. However, I don't think you have to get a Base Station to take advantage of it as most newer routers already have 802.11n. If drivers are needed for the newer card, you should be able to get them from Apple. Or, upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard which has built in support for 802.11n.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
crows8

crows8 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I have an 802.11n router at home and my MacBook is also capable of doing 802.11n. Where I work, we use a system that provides 802.11g. I can't tell the difference. There's a difference in download and upload speed because of the type of connection that I have at home versus the office. But as far as transfer speeds or security is concerned, I see no difference.

If you can get the 802.11n airport card to work in your older model MacBook, that's fine. However, I don't think you have to get a Base Station to take advantage of it as most newer routers already have 802.11n. If drivers are needed for the newer card, you should be able to get them from Apple. Or, upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard which has built in support for 802.11n.

Regards.

oh! im running snow leopard already, so the drivers should already be on my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

There is a misconception that 802.11n will make internet browsing faster than 802.11g. The truth is that N increases wireless range and network transfers between resources, but it won't make a difference in speed. That is still controlled by the ISP.

And yes, SL should have the latest Airport drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Yes pure and simple regarding drivers and your issue may be at the ISP end of things.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Yes pure and simple regarding drivers and your issue may be at the ISP end of things.
There's a simple way to test this too. Turn off AirPort and connect an ethernet cable directly to your modem or router. Wait about 15 second and test the connection. Is it faster?

If yes, your WiFi connection is being impeded in some way (this could be a function of interference or bad hardware, more likely the former).

If no, you have a different issue. It's either the ISP, the configuration of your computer.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina View Post
There is a misconception that 802.11n will make internet browsing faster than 802.11g. The truth is that N increases wireless range and network transfers between resources, but it won't make a difference in speed. That is still controlled by the ISP.

And yes, SL should have the latest Airport drivers.
Nicely put. Yes, a/b/g/n just increase the range the signal can reach and how strong it will be at certain distances. It will not make a difference in speed.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport can't find ANY networks | MAC OS Printing Protocols »