New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Slow browsing-a new twist. Thoughts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spiehler

spiehler is on a distinguished road

Greetings! Newbie here. Had my Mac Pro desktop for a couple of years, love it. Running Tiger (10.4.11) with 2 x 2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon and 2GB 667 MHz DDR2. I'm a little behind on the OS because I use Pro Tools, and there's always a compatibility lag there. Waiting to make a jump. Anyhow...

I also experience the "slow internet" problem from time to time, despite my network (cable modem) being just fine. Pulling 5.31 MB/s download, 1.05 MB/s upload (speedtest.net results). My Pro is hardwired to my router(D-link) via ethernet cable.

When my Mac starts crawling online (both Safari & Firefox), as others have reported, my daughter's PC on the same network (wirelessly) will still fly right along, loading the ad & video heavy CNN.com in under 15 seconds, while the Mac chews on it for over a minute, if it decides to load it at all.

Here's the kicker (and maybe a clue?): If I start up Parallels on my Mac, and surf the 'Net from *inside* the Windows environment (Vista, using IE), the 'Net performance is BLAZING, even though the performance in the Mac OS remains snail-slow. That's right. Same computer. Same connections. Two very different experiences.

Problem seems more pronounced at night. Is something "filling up?" Just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You may be experiencing a DNS problem. For some reason Windows is able to resolve DNS addressing much better than Mac OS X. Try this:

Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight your Ethernet connection and then click on the Advanced button to the bottom right. Select the "DNS" tab at the top menu. At the bottom of the box which says "DNS Servers" click on the small + sign. Add this address: 208.67.222.222 click the + again and add this address below the first one: 208.67.220.220

If there is already an address listed and it's grayed out, ignore it. That's the address of your router. After adding the addresses, click OK and leave System Preferences. Reboot your router and your computer.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

OpenDNS - nice
QUOTE Thanks
spiehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You may be experiencing a DNS problem. For some reason Windows is able to resolve DNS addressing much better than Mac OS X. Try this:

Open System Preferences, Network. Highlight your Ethernet connection and then click on the Advanced button to the bottom right. Select the "DNS" tab at the top menu. At the bottom of the box which says "DNS Servers" click on the small + sign. Add this address: 208.67.222.222 click the + again and add this address below the first one: 208.67.220.220
This sounds really logical. Thanks! I'm a tad confused, though. When I follow the steps, I'm not finding the "Advanced" button.
Where do I go from here? Or am I in the wrong place?

Thanks again.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You're in the right place. It's been awhile since a lot of us used Tiger.

Keep the Built-in Ethernet highlighted and click on Configure - may have to browse around a little since the preference pane has changed to find the DNS settings.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
spiehler

I was having the slow browsing problem tonight. I found the DNS server section in Tiger, plugged in the suggested numbers-BINGO! Problem gone. Surfing at lightspeed. (or that's what it seems like. )

Thank you soooo much.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« D-Link dir-655 | Extending Airport Extreme wireless with 2 units of Airport Express »