New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless Internet WEP key hexadecimal Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oragano

oragano is on a distinguished road

Hi , i am a new Mac user after being faithful to windows since 3.1 i made the change to a Mac Mini :-)
Having bought a wireless adapter for it, namely the D-link gdwl-122+, i have had a few problems. I got the mac to recognise the adapter with some help from google
But now i have to enter a wep key for my network. It is a headless pc server with a wep key of 55555555555555555555555555
Stupid i know, someone else chose that! I can get a pc to connect easily by putting this in, but on the mac i cant and it wants a 1-26 key hexadecimal value or a 13 key ascii value.
I used an online converter but they are limited to about 10 numbers, not 26 that i use. Thinking i could see a pattern in how hexadecimal works i thought id try that but i cant see it! Im no mathematician
Help me with this so i can go online and ill get rid of the IBM thinkpad im writing this on now :-)
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't know if you are going to be able to convert that number to hex. I tried and only abloe to get up to seven numbers. One thing you might try, is to place a dollar sign in front of the string (.i.e $55555555555555555555555555). That might work.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
oragano

thanks for the reply :-)

Is there a way of just putting in the wep key as it is? If i select the network as being shared i can put in a wep key but it doesnt seem to do anything
Selecting the normal network options i get the hex thing again
QUOTE Thanks
oragano

Hey, the $ thing looks like it may have done something. Im a bit more connected now. Think thats it.
If it is then thank you very much :-)
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Hopefully you are not on Comcast right now, because we have been having some DNS issues. In the last couple of days.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
oragano

Doh
Ive got the wep key sorted now it wont connect to the windows network. The mac sees the wireless usb as an ethernet port and i dont know how to get it to connect to my network.It knows the network is present but it cant get in since i am not sure how to configure it if it was a wired connection. Read something about apple talk protocol but not sure if thats for older macs only...
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

are you sharing out any of the folders on the PC? can you see the PC?

QUOTE Thanks
oragano

Tried to ping the server which is 192.168.0.1, also tried to ping it by name 'auriga' and it says the host is down. I just did the ping from my pc laptop and it worked with both.
So i cant see any folders or anything. But it knows its there somewhere since it says network connected. If it was a pc i just keep rebooting til it works but i think im doing something wrong with ip settings and i dont know what to set as the router ip
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice

what are you Mac specs and what kind of router are you using

QUOTE Thanks
oragano

Im on a mac mini with 1.4ghz,512mb,superdrive,80gig
Using a wireless usb adapter - D-link dwl-g122+ revision b
PC access point is a d-link 54mbps model

Ip on pc has a manual setting of 192.168.0.1 and is named 'auriga' on workgroup 'HAWARDEN'
Ill try and post screen grabs from the mac
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

you havent forgot to put your MAC address in the allowed field have you i did last time
QUOTE Thanks
oragano

Ah i dont think i have done that. Not sure what MAC address to use tho...
Apart from that this is what i have so far..

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

the only thing i can think of is to go into the router settings and check that.

QUOTE Thanks
oragano

Its not really a router, its an access point. Not sure exactly if its that different because i didnt set mine up in the first place. Maybe my adapter isnt compatible. I know its not supposed to be, but i found a forum on macosxhints about getting it to work by using a chipset driver.
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

does you network require a certain proxy. like at my school i have to type in bess.proxy.k12.bossier.la.us and then 8856 and the port number..
go to one of the PC's and go to IE then tools->internet options->Connections tab--> Lan Settings and see if the use proxy server box is ticked.... if so copy the adress and box into the one on ur mac ( hit command+comma-> click change proxy ->tick the web proxy box -> and enter the adress and proxy from the PC.

sry if this is not the cure for the problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What Password is it Wanting? | WEP/WPA keys »