New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

wireless printing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zukermaister

zukermaister is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I have a HP Deskjet printer and I wish to use it with my iMac. However I need to use wireless because the printer is not near my computer. What do I have to do???

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I used to use a D-Link wireless print server to wirelessly print from my PC to my HP Deskjet, however, I was never able to get it to work with OS X. I now use a Time Capsule which has a built in print server and it works perfectly. The TC is a little pricey, but I saw a couple refurbs on the Apple site earlier today. It's a good deal if you also need an external drive and an N-router.
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

decoman is on a distinguished road

Does your printer have wireless network in it? My office jet hooks directly to my router and all printers on my network can print to it.
QUOTE Thanks
MacChris

MacChris is on a distinguished road

TC has print server integrated? How do you access that?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacChris View Post
TC has print server integrated? How do you access that?
Go into the AirPort Utility and look for the printing option. I am not at home right now or I would go into more detail.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Getting to the printer setup on a Time Capsule is pretty easy. Launch the Airport Utility and choose Manual Setup. The next screen has a printer setup button. Setup is pretty easy. If your printer already has wireless capability built in try that first though. Sometimes it will give you access to some functions that the time capsule does not such as utilities to check the ink levels.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukermaister View Post
Hello,
I have a HP Deskjet printer and I wish to use it with my iMac. However I need to use wireless because the printer is not near my computer. What do I have to do???

Thank you
Unfortunately, aside from using Apple's own AirPort Express/Extreme or Time Capsule (which includes their print server), most printers don't play ball with third party print servers. This is a major flaw of OS X. Unlike Windows, OS X has no facility for "port redirection", that capability is left up to the printer manufacturer. So, if the printer manufacturer ties the device exclusively to USB, that's the only way you can make the driver show up to add it.

There are some hacks and workarounds - in some cases, you might be able to use an open source driver that will play ball with a print server. But in all honesty, I've found that it's easier and less expensive just to buy a printer with built-in networking that is advertised as being Mac compatible.

For example, the HP Photosmart C6350 that I bought at Costco is pretty much plug-and-play with my Macs and PCs. In fact, it shows right up in Bonjour. That printer ran me $109 at Costco and works like a charm. I spent hours fighting with different network adapters for my older printers and fussing with OS X to actually get them to work as intended. In hindsight, I should have done this years ago.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Minimalist

Minimalist is on a distinguished road

I have tried on and off to print wirelessly from this iMac via Airport Express, and no go. But our recently purchased Dell laptops running Linux Mint 8 recognized the printer instantly, wireless via Airport Express, nothing required of me! In fact, most things seem to work better out of the box on that Linux distro, than does the Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Attimus

Attimus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukermaister View Post
Hello,

Thank you

How far is your printer, and is it hooked up to another computer on the wireless network?

Airport express hooked up to the printer will fix it.
So will having that printer hooked to another computer on the network, but you have to have that computer on when you want to print.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless Self-Assign ip address | Time machine/time capsule "finishing back up" issues »