New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule Completely Dead

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

This morning I woke up to fine my Time Capsule completely dead. It is the 500GB model and a few years old to be sure. The light on the front does not come on and I hear no hard drive noises. Has anyone else seen this before? Or should I just write it off?

Thanks in advance everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.5 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Can be as simple as a power supply issue, in which case you can recover the actual disk with the data.

Was the TC used to store your TM ( or any other form of ) backups ?
If that is the case .... it might be worthwhile to take it in for repair depending on how much value you attach to the backups

Have you got another backup somewhere on another disk ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Lycoming

Lycoming will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook

I was reading this topic and the previous topics about the TC death rate.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Apple time capsule suddenly died ...

Mine was overheating and was replaced by Apple. You may want to use a printout as ammunition when you debate the condition of your TC with the store.
QUOTE Thanks
eddiddiums

eddiddiums is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
Can be as simple as a power supply issue, in which case you can recover the actual disk with the data.

Was the TC used to store your TM ( or any other form of ) backups ?
If that is the case .... it might be worthwhile to take it in for repair depending on how much value you attach to the backups

Have you got another backup somewhere on another disk ?

Cheers ... McBie
The TC was only my backup drive, no production data was stored on it. So while that means nothing was lost, it also means that a ton of my personal data is sitting on it's internal drive. With that stuff on there I would be extremely hesitant to turn the unit over as-is for any sort of repair or replacement.

I'll just give Apple a call and see what I can get out of them. As it is about two years old, I suspect that won't be much, but I'm sure going to try.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help to setup imac and Billion 7301 router | Can't get mobile phone Bluetooth »