New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

can't print thru airport extreme base station

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andyHartzell

andyHartzell is on a distinguished road

I've got two macs connected to an airport extreme base station. I'd like to connect my hp laserjet 1200 printer to the network so I can print from either computer. Followed instructions on "MacInstruct" website, which promised "Printer set up couldn't be easier!" (Advanced AirPort Extreme Configuration | Macinstruct)

1. Plugged printer into base station.

2. Opened airport utility and let it detect the printer, which it did like a pro. (For good measure, I also clicked boxes to "advertise my printer globally via Bonjour", though I have no idea what that means, and vague fears that everyone in France will now have access to my printer).

3. Went into "Print & Fax" in System settings and added the new printer, which also seemed to work fine.

4. Tried to test print from Word. The networked printer showed up in my print dialog box and I chose it. Everything fine, everything easy, just as promised by "MacInstruct", but nothing prints.

Could it be that the hp Laserjet1200 is simply incapable of communicating through airport extreme? Or have I missed a step somewhere? I'm afraid I'm clueless as to diagnosing the problem...I've heard you can "ping the network", which sounds like the right thing to do, but I'm not quite sure what it means or how to do it.

If anyone can point me in the proper direction, I'd appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
jeltekalkman

jeltekalkman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black

First of all, don't worry, bonjour is just some microsoft exchange stuf... don't even bother asking....:-P

anyway,
the steps you took were all correct,
the most likely problem is indeed that your printer is not capable for wireless printing.

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.
QUOTE Thanks
EdH

EdH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd

Have you installed the printer drivers on your computer(s)? There is no need to have a wireless printer to do what you are attempting.

Ed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer Sharing Macbook---->Power Mac | internet keeps disconnecting »