New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Hotspot Shield VPN Proxy impossible to remove

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Noxination

Noxination is on a distinguished road

copy pasting from apple forums for additional luck:

I recently installed Hotspot Shield on both my macbook and my mac pro so that I could watch videos on NBC.com. Shortly after doing so my internet started to take a hit, I realized it was slower than usual and I couldn't load a lot of things or play video games because I would randomly disconnect. After realizing this I disconnected the proxy and uninstalled it.

To my surprise the proxy remained active even after the application was removed, I tried to run traceroutes to random servers and sites, and it would show me as having my router's i.p and then the proxy's i.p, located in california u.s. I quickly searched for information and help and came across this thread here on the forums. Apple - Support - Discussions - hotspot shield -- uninstall problem ...

I tried everything in that thread but nothing has removed it, the little icon on the top right is gone from my screen but the virtual private network is still active on my network settings somewhere, I read that you can delete it on a PC by going into properties and deleting the VPN files. However I can't find anything like that on mac's network preferences. I think I found a way to stop the proxy from being used on browsers, but it's saved on my computer for other things like video games, which I realize from doing traceroutes that start like this:

1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 3.584 ms 2.200 ms 5.945 ms - My Router
2 10.218.0.1 (10.218.0.1) 9.500 ms 9.948 ms 11.626 ms - California I.P address

Any help would be appreciated to avoid having to reformat.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up to a network drive when connected | Speakers »