New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Problems connecting Ibook G3 wireless to 801.11n/g

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Backdoc52

Backdoc52 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G3 500MHz 384Mb

I am running a gigabit network (DIR-655 router , DGS-2208 switch, DNS-323 NAS drive, all from Dlink) on a 14000/1000 DSL cable network, which also has a Wireless portion, that is running with PC's with Vista Home Prem., Windows 7, XP Pro SP3 machines, wired and wireless no problems.

However, I recently was given an Apple Ibook G3 500GHz OSX 10.4.11 with an airport card (825-5620 128bits 017591/B 3892D451 PC24-H, APN 630-2883/C).

I can connect to the network hard-wired with no problems, but cannot wirelessly connect to the network. It is setup mixed 801.11n/g WPA/WPA2, TKIP/AES, channel width 20/40MHz, channel 1, 11 character Preshared Key.

However, every time I put in the Preshared key, it tells me it is wrong, so what else can I do to make it work? I have rebooted the router, gotten rid of all the wireless profiles on the Ibook, but it still gives me the same problem every time.

Any ideas? The wireless network works ok with all other computers, so it must be something specific to the Ibook or airport card, which is running the latest software, but it only recognizes WPA not WPA2 on the router.

Help.......
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The Airport card in your iBook G3 is a "b" network card...so if your network is g/n only...that may be why you're having trouble connecting.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Backdoc52

Backdoc52 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Ibook G3 500MHz 384Mb

Nick,

thanks for the info, but I changed the Router to b/g/n, and rebooted it, and still no luck.
It tells me; There was an error joining the Airport network "Ofice". And when I hit try again, it comes back the same way.
Wonder If I should invest in a wireless N USB network adapter, so it does allow for WPA2 personal, since the software here does not seem to see it.

Also, even with the security switched off, it does not work.

So there is another problem.
Back to the drawing board......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The Airport card in your iBook G3 is a "b" network card...so if your network is g/n only...that may be why you're having trouble connecting.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdoc52 View Post
Nick,

thanks for the info, but I changed the Router to b/g/n, and rebooted it, and still no luck.
It tells me; There was an error joining the Airport network "Ofice". And when I hit try again, it comes back the same way.
Wonder If I should invest in a wireless N USB network adapter, so it does allow for WPA2 personal, since the software here does not seem to see it.

Also, even with the security switched off, it does not work.

So there is another problem.
Back to the drawing board......
When you try to connect from the G3 iBooks Airport...are you getting any "bars" in the Airport signal strength indicator in the menu bar?

If not...it is definitely possible that the Airport card is dead...it does happen from time to time.

Since the iBook networking does work via ethernet...at least you know that the iBook is fully functional in that respect.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Share MBP's internet connection with PS3 through ethernet | Wireless broadband internet sharing »