New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

PowerBook - airport insufficient

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Titianium

Titianium is on a distinguished road

Anybody know what to do? We just bought a powerbook g4 1.0. The airport card doesn't pick up very well even though our imac with airport extreme picks up all bars sitting right next to it. Also, the usb is only first gen so any usb upgrade won't work with a 2.0 usb requirement.
Help!
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

is it built in or a card? i'm not 100% sure on the specs of the powerbook g4's , if its a card i'd just swap it for another one.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And Airport Cards do fail alas. Also the 1GHz PB G4 also uses the 802.11b card which will be slower than the iMac's Extreme Card 802.11g or n card. No help for PB as you cannot fit a USB2 PCI Controller Card alas. Here are the specs:-

Apple PowerBook G4 1.0 (Ti) Specs (1 GHz/867 MHz - M8859LL/A) @ EveryMac.com
QUOTE Thanks
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

if I am reading correctly you have a PowerBook Titanium with usb 1.0?? (just a guess)

These used the original airport cards that you have to take the bottom case off to get to .. it is very possible that the plug is not pushed in all the way causing poor reception..

its only 5 screws if I am remembering correctly but be careful to slide the bottom forward, there are catches that can break by the cd/dvd rom..

Remember the Ti's wifi is only b 11 Mbps... if Im all wrong and you have the aluminum disregard.. but the plug could still be loose..

if its the original AirPort.. I may have one in stock if you want to contact me.

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titianium View Post
Anybody know what to do? We just bought a powerbook g4 1.0. The airport card doesn't pick up very well even though our imac with airport extreme picks up all bars sitting right next to it. Also, the usb is only first gen so any usb upgrade won't work with a 2.0 usb requirement.
Help!
You must have the Powerbook G4 "Titanium" 1.0ghz...because it's the only 1.0ghz Powerbook G4 that uses the older Airport card. There were 3 other 1.0ghz models that used the Airport Extreme Card.

So how many "bars" of signal strength are you getting?

I have an iBook Clamshell laptop from 2000 (10 years old)...it uses the older Airport card. My wireless router is in my basement, and I get perfect signal in my 2nd floor bedrooms (and that's going thru a couple floors & walls to get there).

Not sure what to suggest...other than maybe your wireless router is the source of the problem.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Problem | Power Mac G5 Airport + Linksys = Wireless connects and then dies out »