New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac G4 - Installed new AirPort Card - Password not working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Simone

Simone is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I bought my roommate's old computer which works fine but didn't have an AirPort card. I bought one, installed it and the computer recognizes it. It also picks up the wifi signal that I use with my iBook but when it asks for the password and I type in the correct one, it tells me that "the password you entered is not correct for the selected AirPort network". I have tested it and it is the right password. Is there another reason it would not be connecting? The firmware specs are below in my sig.

Thanks. I've been trying to fix this for a month and am going a bit berserk.

iMac G4 - 800 MHz PowerPC - OS X 10.3.9 - 512 MB SDRAM - AirPort Card Firmware 9.52
iBook G4 - 1.33 GHz PowerPC - OS X 10.4.11 - 512 MB Built-in - AirPort Extreme Card Firmware 405.1
QUOTE Thanks
Simone

I verified the password again and am wondering if there might be other reasons that error would come up. Would it have something to do with the signal that is going out that my iBook can translate but the iMac can't? Or are there old system prefs somewhere on the iMac that I need to trash in order for it to recognize the wifi signal? Do I need an AirPort Extreme card instead of just an Airport card?

iMac G4 - 800 MHz PowerPC - OS X 10.3.9 - 512 MB SDRAM - AirPort Card Firmware 9.52
iBook G4 - 1.33 GHz PowerPC - OS X 10.4.11 - 512 MB Built-in - AirPort Extreme Card Firmware 405.1
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

The password issue you're having probably has something to do with your local network...so you should probably see your network admin about it.

The only other reason why you would have a password issue is if the previous owner had a password on the computer itself. And if that's the case, and if you bought the computer from your roommate...then reach over & wake your roommate up, and ask them for the password!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Simone

I have all of the passwords for the computer and my roommate has been trying to help. The wifi signal comes from a DSL line via a router. This same signal is what I have been currently using for my iBook and it works perfectly. When I turn on the iMac, the signal shows up but it does not accept the very same password that my iBook is using. I also verified it with the online Linksys page so I know that the password to access the wifi is correct.

I can't shake the feeling that it has something to do with the signal itself. I can't remember the terminology, but don't the newer iMacs have a specific type of signal that they prefer that older macs don't accept? For some reason I thought my iBook was on the cusp but the iMac may be just a bit too old. I dread the thought. I mean, the iMac accepts wifi. Can't it just be some setting on either the router or the computer the router is linked to?

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
I have all of the passwords for the computer and my roommate has been trying to help. The wifi signal comes from a DSL line via a router. This same signal is what I have been currently using for my iBook and it works perfectly. When I turn on the iMac, the signal shows up but it does not accept the very same password that my iBook is using. I also verified it with the online Linksys page so I know that the password to access the wifi is correct.

I can't shake the feeling that it has something to do with the signal itself. I can't remember the terminology, but don't the newer iMacs have a specific type of signal that they prefer that older macs don't accept? For some reason I thought my iBook was on the cusp but the iMac may be just a bit too old. I dread the thought. I mean, the iMac accepts wifi. Can't it just be some setting on either the router or the computer the router is linked to?
Thanks for the extra info.

Are you sure that you are selecting the correct wireless network?

When you click onto the "signal strength" icon in the menu bar...you may have multiple wireless networks to choose from. I don't know what choices you have...all I can say is choose the correct network, enter your password, and it should work fine.

I hope that this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What Encryption is the WiFi Router using? WEP? WPA? WPA2? Reason I ask is in all the older Macs I own with the older Airport Card, the newer encryptions will not work. Just like older PCMCIA cards on Windows laptops will only work with WEP but not WPA and WPA2.
QUOTE Thanks
Simone

Bingo! I had a feeling it had to do with encryption, but wasn't the one who set up the network. Unfortunately, my roommate did via telephone support and doesn't know much more. I went online, changed the setting, got a WEP key and now both computers are online. Thank you!

Are there any downsides to WEP? Also, is using the key the only way to sign in on wifi? I can't use the "passphrase" that Linksys asked me to set up? Talk about long...it's also working on my iPhone now but was just wondering if the massive key is the only way. Thanks again.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Glad to hear you got it working. WEP is pretty un-secure these days, but I still would rather use WEP than nothing as so many are so stupid I doubt they could hack WEP if you gave them the key!

You are running 10.3.9 correct? If so I think on the old Airport card WEP is your only option. I have a Power Mac with the old Airport using Leopard and WPA is available.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« protocols and routing according to reliability and time of packet arrival | Router Priority »