Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Airport Problem

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    Airport Problem
    Okay so, Lately ive been having problems connecting to some random networks (wireless and wired) Basically what happens is some networks i can connect to perfectly fine, other ones when i try and connect to them in network settings it first comes up and says no ip address then after about 15 seconds it times out and says self-assigned ip and it won't connect. I've tried just about everything i could find. I erased all my locations and made a new one, i did a clean reinstall of snow leopard updated to 10.6.1, and i also reset my nvram.

    And the reason i know its my computer and not the network is because when i go to try and get on the network on my college campus it says self assigned ip and that whole mess. I've taken it to the IT department on campus and they couldn't figure it out either.

    Another really weird thing is that if im wired to my router it works fine, but if i unplug my router from the ethernet jack in the wall and plug directly from the jack to my computer it comes up saying self assigned ip but if i go from the jack to my router to my computer it works no problem.

    These are some screen shots of what happens when i unplug my router as mentioned above.


    This is when I'm wired through the router and it works fine.


    This is right as i plug directly from the wall jack to my computer before it gives itself a self assigned ip


    This is what it says after it times out and gives itself a self-assigned ip.

    I've tried everything and i don't know what to do.

    Please help me!

    -Jeremy

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,195
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Most networks require you to either obtain an IP address through a modem or modem - router combo. Very few networks that I know allow a direct net connection and self assigned IP address. Verizon FIOS is one that does allow it using PPPoE.

    I guess I'm not sure what your problem is? All your illustrations (screen shots) look normal. Are you able to connect when using Airport Wireless?

    Regards.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Most networks require you to either obtain an IP address through a modem or modem - router combo. Very few networks that I know allow a direct net connection and self assigned IP address. Verizon FIOS is one that does allow it using PPPoE.

    I guess I'm not sure what your problem is? All your illustrations (screen shots) look normal. Are you able to connect when using Airport Wireless?

    Regards.
    When i try and connect directly into the wall jack its based out of the whole system. I live in a college apartment complex so the whole building is connected and has ethernet jacks in all of the rooms. So the modem is in the main part of the system in the office or wherever.

    It depends on where i am trying to connect. When I'm on my college campus, i can't connect wirelessly or wired, both say self assigned ip and i can't connect. But when i'm at my house which has ethernet jacks built in the wall if i have my router plugged i can wirelessly and wired connect to it but if i unplug the router and connect directly to the wall with an ethernet cable it says self assigned ip and it can't connect to the internet. I know i used to be able to connect directly to the wall but now i cannot.

    It really confuses me because it works some places and others it doesn't. Pretty much the only wireless connection that i can't get on is the network on campus but there aren't any other macs that can't connect. So it has to be something with my computer.


    Jeremy

  4. #4

    rippingviper's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, Manitoba
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    It sounds to me like your campus has mac address filtering on as its rejecting your computer when you plug it into the jack. Either that or its unplugged in your room or a connection error in the lines. Have you attempted to use another computer in that jack?

    Also to add. my Fiancee goes to university and while on campus we need to connect through the network using 802.1x which requires a username and password , then grants you access. It is a possibility that this could be the issue.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
    It sounds to me like your campus has mac address filtering on as its rejecting your computer when you plug it into the jack. Either that or its unplugged in your room or a connection error in the lines. Have you attempted to use another computer in that jack?

    Also to add. my Fiancee goes to university and while on campus we need to connect through the network using 802.1x which requires a username and password , then grants you access. It is a possibility that this could be the issue.
    Well first off the weird thing is that i know the jack thats in my room works because when i plug the router into it then plug my mac into the router it works fine, but when i take the router out of the picture and connect directly to the jack it doesnt work, and i was connected directly to the jack in the beginning of the year before i got my router so i know its fine.

    And when i go on campus i do have to login using my student account but it wont let me get to that screen because it won't let me get any sort of internet access, so the guys in the IT department manually put me in the system and it still doesnt work.

    I just dont get it.

    Is there anyway i can reset my entire network settings back to completely factory incase there is something i messed up?

  6. #6

    rippingviper's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, Manitoba
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist , is the directory and you could just rename it to
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.bak or whatever you choose really and reboot. it'll rebuild all your system
    preferences. you may be required to re-enter some preferences.

    I've read this on quite a few places and seems to work for them. If it doesnt you can always just rename that other file back and remove the
    new one. but it rebuilds your preferences on bootup to factory.

    Maybe its the cable your using when your wired? Is it cross or straight thru? Have you tried to use another cable to the router and go thru ethernet that way on campus?

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist , is the directory and you could just rename it to
    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.bak or whatever you choose really and reboot. it'll rebuild all your system
    preferences. you may be required to re-enter some preferences.

    I've read this on quite a few places and seems to work for them. If it doesnt you can always just rename that other file back and remove the
    new one. but it rebuilds your preferences on bootup to factory.

    Maybe its the cable your using when your wired? Is it cross or straight thru? Have you tried to use another cable to the router and go thru ethernet that way on campus?
    I tried that preference thing, and that did reset my settings and i tried it with the wired ethernet directly and it didnt work, tomorrow when i go to campus ill try and see if that works for that.

    Fingers crossed!

  8. #8

    rippingviper's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, Manitoba
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    Goodluck!

    And i was just examining your pictures. It appears you have parallels installed. It looks like you've been configuring the parallels ethernet, the one that says no ip address is the one you want to be addressing. the other ones just grab an IP from that one that says ethernet , the EN2 and en3 are just the virtual connections!

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
    Goodluck!

    And i was just examining your pictures. It appears you have parallels installed. It looks like you've been configuring the parallels ethernet, the one that says no ip address is the one you want to be addressing. the other ones just grab an IP from that one that says ethernet , the EN2 and en3 are just the virtual connections!
    I was just looking into why they're there. I had parallels installed over two years ago on here for like a week and i didnt like it. I've noticed that when i delete them and then i try and plug directly into the wall they come back?

    Does this mean anything important??

  10. #10

    rippingviper's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, Manitoba
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    Hmm I think its because you still have parallels installed in a way. If you remove all the pref's and whatnot like I did then remove those they will go away. They are just there so that the virtual desktop can connect to the network. they just virtually bridge themselves when parallels is running.

    Theres 2 of them because 1 bridges the Airport and 1 does the ethernet. They both say ethernet though because they are virtual

    You can just pretty much forget them or remove the parallels software.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    YESSSSS!!!!!

    I figured it out!!

    It was parallels that was messing everything up!

    I googled parallels uninstaller and found a bunch of things i had to put into terminal to delete older files and then i deleted the preferences.plist again rebooted and now im directly hooked into my wall jack!

    Tomorrow will be the final test to see if i can connect to the wireless internet on campus! I'll let you guys know as soon as i find out. Thanks so much for your help rippingviper!

    Thanks again!
    Jeremy

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    Okay... so i got the ethernet jack in my room to work but the wireless internet on campus doesn't work. I tried deleting the .plist again and that didnt do anything for my wireless...

    I'm gonna go to IT again today and see if they can help me any more.

    Any other ideas??

  13. #13

    rippingviper's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, Manitoba
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    Hmmm oh boy. Campus is alot harder cause we don't really have access to anything they have. Hmm only thing i can think of is the 802.1x for logging in or else you won't get a connection. I have a feeling its not just your laptop that seems to be the problem.

    I know that most campus' use that protocol cause its very safe and secure. I know that if i connect to a wireless signal on campus without it , it brings me to a page and says access denied please login and gives me a link to how to set it up. But your saying you don't even get wireless an IP address at all.

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2009
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
    Hmmm oh boy. Campus is alot harder cause we don't really have access to anything they have. Hmm only thing i can think of is the 802.1x for logging in or else you won't get a connection. I have a feeling its not just your laptop that seems to be the problem.

    I know that most campus' use that protocol cause its very safe and secure. I know that if i connect to a wireless signal on campus without it , it brings me to a page and says access denied please login and gives me a link to how to set it up. But your saying you don't even get wireless an IP address at all.
    Yeah, i know theres a link thats supposed to come up for me to log into but i can't even get to that screen because it doesnt give me any sort of IP address.

    So your saying if i go to 802.1x (which is in network settings/advanced)

    What do i do in there?

  15. #15

    rippingviper's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, Manitoba
    Posts
    264
    Specs:
    MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
    Well depends on how the network is set up. Now our univercity uses ttls, so what we usually do is enable that protocol, then would put your university login for username and password also select the correct wireless network in the dropdown box. Im not there right now so its all greyed out for me so its hard for me to remember every step off the top of my head.

    But your IT's at the uni should be able to tell you what protocol they use and whatnot and maybe you can enter it that way. Alot of these uni's don't know much about macs unfortunately so you pretty much need to make it up as you go.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Airport problem
    By yautt in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-27-2012, 05:46 AM
  2. Interesting Airport Extreme vs Airport Express Problem
    By amg6975 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 03:15 PM
  3. Problem with airport
    By 41-thermal in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM
  4. New Airport Exteme and Airport Express problem
    By wbnjr in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM
  5. Airport problem?
    By blackmagicxx in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •