New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Connected to router but no internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Tricky one this, my Mac Pro has stopped being able to connect to the internet for some reason, hopefully someone here can assist.

The Pro is connected to the router via ethernet, router automatically assigns it at ip address by DHCP of 192.168.2.4, its on the correct subnet mask etc too

I can transfer files to and from the Pro using my Macbook, my Macbook can surf the web as can my iphone, but the Pro just refuses to get internet traffic.

I have also tried using airport on the Pro, again it connects fine to the router, gets a valid ip address but just will not surf the web.

So i then tried a USB mobile broadband dongle in the Pro, same thing again, connects fine but just wont surf the web!

The pro can also ping the router no problem with no packets lost.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah meant to say, I have the firewall disabled on the Mac Pro

I also have Mac address filtering disabled on the router
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

Have you tried to ping a dns server outside of the router on the WAN side?
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippingviper View Post
Have you tried to ping a dns server outside of the router on the WAN side?
I tried to ping Google and it worked fine, 9 packets transmitted, 9 received, 0 loss
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

Hmmmm then its not that your not getting on the internet. Its for some reason not loading pages.. Do you go thru a router? Maybe some settings have changed but you also did say that you have another machine you can get on just fine.. hmm.. Have you tried to default your browser settings or tried a different browser?

Also how are your DNS settings? Do you need to manually input them because if you dont have any dns you won't load pages pretty simple. Normally its set to auto depending on your connection. You can always look at your macbooks dns under your network settings if they seem to be missing.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

No internet with both Safari and Firefox.

Internet works fine on a macbook with safari, works fine with an iphone and safari, and a pc with internet explorer.

Its just this one machine.
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Sounds like dns to me then. I'm messing with my dns settings here and when I removed my DNS from my network pref's I could still ping outwards but I couldn't resolve any hosts (webpages).

Are you familiar with your DNS settings or network settings?
QUOTE Thanks
Del

I am no networking guru by any means, but i can do enough to configure the router. I set it up initially and all computers including the Mac Pro could surf the web, something has changed to stop that even though settings on the Mac Pro and MacBook are identical.
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

hmmm, under the DNS tab there are Ip addresses listed then I take it? As I speak under my dns tab I have 3 different IP addresses listed on it. When I remove them I lose my internet access even though I have a gateway. Your really making me think if that is not the cause of your problem.

It seems I can create the same problem but it isn't the problem your having :/

Are 2 dns numbers that are working for resolving hosts.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Yes i have DNS settings as follows

One thing i notice though is they are black on the Macbook (working) and greyed out on the MacPro (not working)
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Greyed out means that they are automatically obtained via the router. Black means its set to manual and has been manually entered. You could always try to add those 2 DNS servers I put up into your dns list and see if it works.

Also I see its 192.168.2.1, Usually home networks are either 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 , was wondering if that was on purpose or if it was a typo.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

I did try those DNS addresses, still no joy

QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

Hmm I'm really trying to get you going here. I'm gonna have to do some research or something here. And see if theres similar issues out there. I'll post back here when I find something or if someone else chimes in.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to help.
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

I have another theory. Maybe proxies have been turned on by accident. Under network settings then the proxies tab, should look something like this.

I've also been reading up on a few things where the preferences file just needs to be re-built.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist , is the directory and you could just rename it to
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.bak or whatever you choose really and reboot. it'll rebuild all your system
preferences. you may be required to re-enter some preferences but seeing as your using a DHCP you should automatically get all your info
for network automatically , i've read on quite a few places that this has fixed the problem.

Also if that doesnt work. I see you have ethernet 1 and 2. Have you tried to switch the cable to the other port? or tried a different cable?

Hopefully one of these fixes your problem. I had it happen a few times on my iBook but all I did was reboot and it worked again. So its not as extreme as this.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Nope, no proxies configured.

I'll try renaming the preferences file this evening after work.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting a Network Drive to an existing network | home network »