New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Connecting to internet via phoneline

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

merytamun

merytamun is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

I need to connect my Macbook to the internet by dialling up on a normal phoneline. I understand that that's not possible directly with a mac (why not???) and i need an adapter. I've been trying to google and search for one in MAC store and on the forums here with no luck. My macbook is only 2 weeks old and I'm no computer expert anyway so I'm sure I don't have the right jargon either!

Been trying to search for "phoneline usb adapter" etc but no luck! Is there one? where can I find it? Other options to connect mac to phoneline? I'm about to move to an area where my only option is to dial up through the phoneline or trek halfway across town to get wifi at mcdonald's....

Can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

The reason you can't connect directly is that the Macbook does not have a built in modem, so you will need to get one first.
Apple used to make one, but it seems to be out of stock in the US and has a 3 month wait in the UK.
I googled it for you - aren't I kind!

Apple USB Modem - 56 Kbps Fax / modem - USB

Have a sift through that lot.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
merytamun

merytamun is on a distinguished road

wow, thanks! You are kind!

Hmmm, the picture of that thingy in the link looks EXACTLY like a think I found in the apple store. There it said its an "ethernet" rj45 connection, and someone much wiser than me told me that's not what I need Is this the same thing or a different thing?

sorry for asking stupid things, I really have tried looking all this up myself but when you get to the point of having to read the wikipedia entry for "ethernet" you get kind of lost in the information jungle!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

It depends on what the device you were looking at the Apple store is. Cable/DSL modems and routers use the RJ45 Ethernet (5 wires) connection to a computer. If your laptop had a modem connection, it would accept a RJ11 (4 wires) cable. It looks very similar to the RJ45, but the RJ11 plug is smaller.

The link pointed to by @Kevriano, is a device that will plug into your USB port on the Macbook and on the rectangular block will be the RJ11 port where you'd plug in the phone wire into and then into the wall.

Did no Apple Genius point you in the right direction?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wired network connection failure - ping: sendto: Cannot allocate memory | 1st gen iMac G5 which airport extreme card? »