New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac Airport to Linksys router challenge

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kper99

kper99 is on a distinguished road

Ok, here's what I have:

An iMac 2009 sporting a built in Airport Extreme card, connected to a DSL modem via Ethernet and using PPPoE. Note that I am unable to use Airport Utility as the Airport Extreme is not a base station. The iMac Airport (wireless network) is configured to share my internet connection from the DSL modem (ethernet).

I have a TV and DVD player which have ethernet ports are far enough away from the DSL modem as to make a wired router/switch impractical.

I also am the proud owner of a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 wireless router which I've flashed with the dd-wrt vintage mini software.

I want to connect the WRT54G router, wirelessly, to the iMac Airport signal. I then want to transmit this internet connection, through the wired router ports on the WRT54G, to the TV and DVD player. I believe this what is meant by Bridging/Repeater mode.

Again, here is a graphic of what I'd like to accomplish:

DSL Modem--->(Ethernet/PPPoE)--->iMac---->(wireless via Airport)--->WRT54G--->(Ethernet)--->TV/DVD

There is extremely limited documentation which I can find on this subject, as everything Airport Extreme assumes you are using the airport base station and Airport Utility. As you can tell I am a novice so please provide a basic step by step if you are familiar.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Not sure if you realize this, but the WRT54G has full PPPoE support. You can easily attach the DSL modem directly to the WAN port on the WRT54G and then configure the router to establish the PPPoE connection. Then all of your client devices can connect to it wirelessly (or wired to one of the four ports on the back of it).

I can't give you precise steps with the dd-wrt firmware, but if you flash back to the stock firmware, I should be able to assist.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kper99

Thanks for the reply but that's not what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to get the TV/DVD attached to the internet. These units can only connect via ethernet, no wireless capability for either. It is impractical to run an ethernet connection from the location of the DSL modem all the way to the TV/DVD, I want to do this wirelessly.

I have the Linksys wireless router which is not in use. I would like to put it to use as a wireless bridge/repeater (whatever the correct terminology is) so the TV/DVD can connect to the internet. I would like it to pick up the wireless Airport signal and then send that signal through it's wired ethernet router connection to the TV/DVD. I would be able to place the Linksys router next to the TV/DVD.

Again, I'm trying to determine the correct software setup for iMac Airport and Linksys WRT54g so they can talk to eachother. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, wasn't quite sure what you were after. I would imagine you could set up the Airport card in ad hoc mode, but how you would tie the WRT54G into that as a client, I'm not sure.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't know how to do it, just tossing questions of my own related to what you're attempting.

Can you even:
a) connect 2 routers together wirelessly or
b) use both ethernet and wireless simultaneously on a computer?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would have to bone up on the dd-wrt firmware a bit but I know what you are trying to do.

Let me run this by you real fast to be sure I understand exactly what you want. You have the DSL Modem. How is your iMac connecting to the DSL Modem? Wired correct? If so then you have to set up OSX Internet Sharing. The Airport adapter in the Mac would be set up in AdHoc mode like CWA mentioned. It would send out a WiFi signal like an Access point. Your Linksys then would receive that signal and send it Via Cat-5 to the TV/DVD/ whatever.

Is that what you are trying to do? I can help easily with the OSX end and will read up on the dd-wrt firmware. I have a few Linksys WRT54G's, 2 Version 2's and a GL even. I had the dd-wrt installed at one point but wanted the Linksys back stock for a reason.

Let us know if we are understanding you correctly.

The main thing I need to know is how the iMac is connected to the DSL Modem.
QUOTE Thanks
kper99

dtravis7 you are indeed tracking with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Yes, the iMac is connected, via ethernet, to the DSL Modem. I am also familiar with broadcasting my airport signal, assigning it to share my internet connection via the ethernet so no problems there. I'm getting hung up on the settings in both OS X Network Pane and the dd-wrt setup page.

In the Network Pane:

Connected to PPPoE Service. Under Advanced button, TCP/IP Tab: Configure IPv4: Using PPP; IPv4 Address is present; No subnet mask is present; and Router address is present. Under DNS Tab two DNS Addresses are given.

Distributing Airport signal. Under Advanced button, TCP/IP Tab: Configure IPv4: Using DHCP; IPv4 Address is present; Subnet Mask is present; No Router address is present. Under DNS Tab no DNS address is given.

Linksys dd-wrt is set up in client-bridge mode. I am unclear as to which IP address/DNS address/Subnet Mask to input. Additionally, should the Airport signal have it's Configure IPv4 set to something other than "Using DHCP"?

Am I wrong in believing that the Airport Extreme card inside of this iMac is not the same as an Airport Extreme Basestation? Or has Apple reduced functionality to push more product?

In any event, please excuse my ignorance regarding this matter. Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by kper99 View Post
Am I wrong in believing that the Airport Extreme card inside of this iMac is not the same as an Airport Extreme Basestation? Or has Apple reduced functionality to push more product?

In any event, please excuse my ignorance regarding this matter. Thanks for the help!
AirPort is Apple's brand name for "WiFi". The Airport card in your Mac is akin to a WiFi adapter. Although WiFi adapters can be setup to work in ad hoc mode and emulate a router in a sense, their functionality is extremely limited.

The AirPort Express and AirPort Extreme products are more or less akin to a standard WiFi router. The Express has some specialized functionality that allows you to easily stream music using WiFi and can approximate a router, although it's pretty limited. The Extreme is more in line with a traditional router, although it has some NAS and printer sharing functionality.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I hope it sheds a little light on the product line-up.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OSX sharing folders automatically | Wireless Signal problems »