New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Setting up a Mac Mini as a server.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JBannister

JBannister is on a distinguished road

So I just bought a Mac mini to use as my all out entertainment hardware, but I want to set it up as a server as well where when I'm at school I can access the files and upload my websites and other files I work with at school. Also I guess I need to have a static IP address so I was also wondering how to do that. Thanks for the help in advanced.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I would give it a manual IP address on your internal network. I would then set it up as an FTP server.

This makes that real easy:

PureFTPd Manager for Mac OS X

Do some port forwarding so when anything going to port 21 (FTP) hits the router's external interface it goes to the Mac Mini.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBannister View Post
Also I guess I need to have a static IP address so I was also wondering how to do that. Thanks for the help in advanced.
You can set a static IP for your internal network (anything behind your router) but how you get your external IP from your ISP is up to them. Either your provider assigns you a static IP or you get it through DHCP.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
You can set a static IP for your internal network (anything behind your router) but how you get your external IP from your ISP is up to them. Either your provider assigns you a static IP or you get it through DHCP.
Exactly. When you run the PureFTPd program it tells you what your external IP is. There is a million ways to get that info, but that is very simple. Mine hardly ever changes. If it does I just use logmein to log onto the machine and see what it changed to.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Exactly. When you run the PureFTPd program it tells you what your external IP is. There is a million ways to get that info, but that is very simple. Mine hardly ever changes. If it does I just use logmein to log onto the machine and see what it changed to.
Very true - it can change any time an IP has to be requested from your ISP which is something to note. To the OP, just note that if you get your external IP through DHCP, it may change. It won't change randomly - it will only change anytime your modem requests an IP which won't happen all that much.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
JBannister

JBannister is on a distinguished road

MD, those versions look like they don't run on Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If you don't need fine grained control, you can always set up FTP sharing through System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing. Just make sure to click the "Options..." button as the file sharing defaults to AFP and not FTP.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

You can get a free domain from here: https://www.no-ip.com/

This way you can access your computer from anywhere using the domain name. A bit more simple than remembering an IP adress.

If you want a webserver up and running I recommend taking a look at: MAMP: Mac, Apache, MySQL, PHP

It was recently upgraded to work with Snow Leopard.

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBannister View Post
MD, those versions look like they don't run on Snow Leopard.
Interesting. I am using it right now on SL.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strukt View Post
If you want a webserver up and running I recommend taking a look at: MAMP: Mac, Apache, MySQL, PHP
While MAMP can get you up and running quickly, note what is listed as their philosophy (emphasis added):
Quote:
MAMP was created primarily as a PHP development environment for Macintosh computer and should therefore not be used as Live Webserver for the Internet. In this case, we recommend that you use Mac OS X server with the provided Apache or a Linux server.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine preferences. | problems with mac USB wirless »