New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Issues with wireless Antenna

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EODTEC

EODTEC is on a distinguished road

Prior to my upgrade to snow leopard I have been using an Alfa 500mw USB wireless adapter attached to a 24db antenna with a 25 foot cable. I get excellant fast internet and for the most part no issues. Now after my upgrade to snow leopard every time I attached the USB adapter into my computer, the computer then freezes up and a box comes up telling me there a was an error and I must restart my computer. After some playing around I now know the issues must be with the antenna because if the antenna is detached from the Alfa USB adapter, it works, the computer does not freeze up and I have no issue, the minute I hook up the antenna, BAM the computer locks up and tells me to shut down. Both my MAC Book and iMac do the same thing now with snow leopard. I am in Iraq and this is my only source of internet so it kinda bothers me. If anyone know why this is happening please let me know. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like you need updated drivers for that antenna rig. Since you're in Iraq and it probably isn't easy to obtain drivers or for that matter anything else, I suggest you downgrade back to Leopard so you can continue to use the antenna. I'm assuming from your "handle" that you're out in the field quite a bit and need something long range to pick up a wireless signal.

Unless the maker of the USB wireless adapter provides an updated driver for Snow Leopard, reverting back to Leopard is about the only thing I can think of that will get you back on the net.

Be careful out there, and Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which Router To Get | Time Machine preferences. »