New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can't connect to the net

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Seanca

Seanca is on a distinguished road

Hi, so I got a new macbook pro and for the first month everything worked fine, then all of a sudden it wouldn't connect to the internet anymore and when i tried to connect i got the message "connection timeout" I talked to apple and they said change the security from WEP to WPA which I did but it didn't make any difference.
After another fortnight or so the mac suddenly started being able to connect the internet again so i assumed something had fixed itself. However, this was short-lived as after another week I still had the same problem. Apple just arent helpful and this is my first mac so I'm not really sure how to go about fixing anything. Its not the router because i have the same problem at other houses where their laptops, PCs and Ipods all can connect, just as my brothers ipod touch can connect wirelessly.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

In Sys Prefs/Network with airport selected click on Advanced - how many networks show up there in the airport pane and if the WEP one is still there then click on it and delete it, and then drag networks into your preferred order for joining.
QUOTE Thanks
Seanca

Okay I've gone into it but there is only one there and its the WPA Personal one, Thanks for trying though
QUOTE Thanks
deathcloud

deathcloud is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD

what router do you have? Model?

I had the same problem. And I have been seeing this common problem. My problem was that I had WEP on and my MBP would connect sometimes and then it wouldn't connect and do what you said "connection timeout" and then CWA gave me good advice and said WEP IS DEAD go to WPA or WPA2. So I switched and ever since then it has been awesome and no problems and seems faster as well.

Now what I also did is I upgraded the firmware for my router and this could help you I think.

BTW I have a Linksys WRT160N, and after I upgraded the firmware I then did the security settings change to WPA and then JUST IN CASE I RESET the router. and then I connected and I haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it will work for you. Let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
Seanca

We have a BT home hub, security has been changed to WPA, everything is upgraded and it has been reset twice but still no difference, Thanks anyway though
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

OK next step try connecting with an ethernet cable to modem/router - can u connect to internet with a wired connection without problems?
QUOTE Thanks
Seanca

Yes, just tried a wired connection and that connected straightaway no bother at all
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network Error or ??? | Bad reception Airport extreme router »