Can't connect to the net
    Hi, so I got a new macbook pro and for the first month everything worked fine, then all of a sudden it wouldn't connect to the internet anymore and when i tried to connect i got the message "connection timeout" I talked to apple and they said change the security from WEP to WPA which I did but it didn't make any difference.
    After another fortnight or so the mac suddenly started being able to connect the internet again so i assumed something had fixed itself. However, this was short-lived as after another week I still had the same problem. Apple just arent helpful and this is my first mac so I'm not really sure how to go about fixing anything. Its not the router because i have the same problem at other houses where their laptops, PCs and Ipods all can connect, just as my brothers ipod touch can connect wirelessly.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    In Sys Prefs/Network with airport selected click on Advanced - how many networks show up there in the airport pane and if the WEP one is still there then click on it and delete it, and then drag networks into your preferred order for joining.

Okay I've gone into it but there is only one there and its the WPA Personal one, Thanks for trying though

Specs:
    13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
    what router do you have? Model?

I had the same problem. And I have been seeing this common problem. My problem was that I had WEP on and my MBP would connect sometimes and then it wouldn't connect and do what you said "connection timeout" and then CWA gave me good advice and said WEP IS DEAD go to WPA or WPA2. So I switched and ever since then it has been awesome and no problems and seems faster as well.

Now what I also did is I upgraded the firmware for my router and this could help you I think.

BTW I have a Linksys WRT160N, and after I upgraded the firmware I then did the security settings change to WPA and then JUST IN CASE I RESET the router. and then I connected and I haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it will work for you. Let me know.

We have a BT home hub, security has been changed to WPA, everything is upgraded and it has been reset twice but still no difference, Thanks anyway though

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    OK next step try connecting with an ethernet cable to modem/router - can u connect to internet with a wired connection without problems?

Wired Connections
    Yes, just tried a wired connection and that connected straightaway no bother at all

Thread Information