New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

katf

katf is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. I have purchased a Apple Airport Extreme card but although it fits in the slot, it can't connect because the antennas appear to be the wrong type.
After some research it seems that there is another Airport Extreme out there that has blue tooth connectors, the Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card, although it seems like I should try this type instead, is it likely that this type of Airport would have the same "slot type". (sorry for the lack of technical terms), and fit into the same slot as the Airport Extreme card that I have.

What I have now http://i.testfreaks.com/images/produ...ard.516103.jpg

What I think I should have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370237298211

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katf View Post
Hi, I have a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. I have purchased a Apple Airport Extreme card but although it fits in the slot, it can't connect because the antennas appear to be the wrong type.
After some research it seems that there is another Airport Extreme out there that has blue tooth connectors, the Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card, although it seems like I should try this type instead, is it likely that this type of Airport would have the same "slot type". (sorry for the lack of technical terms), and fit into the same slot as the Airport Extreme card that I have.

What I have now http://i.testfreaks.com/images/produ...ard.516103.jpg

What I think I should have?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370237298211

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
Your 2nd link didn't work for me. But if you have a 2.0ghz G5 that is a "dual- core" computer (versus a "dual-processor")...then you need the MUCH more expensive (close to $200+) blue-colored Airport extreme/bluetooth card.

If your computer has the 2 black wires that hook up to the card...then you need that MUCH more expensive card.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As Nick says if yours is the Dual Core 2GHz machine, you need the following:-

1 x Airport/Bluetooth Combo card

1 x Stand off mounting card

Mounting screws

Stand off screws.

I could not get them anywhere here in Australia but found a complete set in LA. Price was US$149 and then Apple advises they are a dealer installable part only so US Apple dealers may be able to help.

Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card 802.11G iBook G4 , PM G5 LATE 2005 - $74.00

Note this is for the card itself. Read the small print about the other parts.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
As Nick says if yours is the Dual Core 2GHz machine, you need the following:-

1 x Airport/Bluetooth Combo card

1 x Stand off mounting card

Mounting screws

Stand off screws.

I could not get them anywhere here in Australia but found a complete set in LA. Price was US$149 and then Apple advises they are a dealer installable part only so US Apple dealers may be able to help.

Apple AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth Combo Card 802.11G iBook G4 , PM G5 LATE 2005 - $74.00

Note this is for the card itself. Read the small print about the other parts.
Thanks for adding those details Harry. I forgot to mention the "stand-off" or "riser" card.

That price you linked for the combo-card is very very good!

Someone posted a similar problem/question a few days ago...and when I searched for prices on that card...one was like $149 dollars US (used on e-Bay)...and another one that was new was about $200 bucks.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
katf

Thanks for your comments. I will look into all those parts.
QUOTE Thanks
katf

Hi, I can't seem to find instructions on how to install an airport kit for a late 2005 g5 model computer.

Any assistance would be great.
Thanks.

Hello, I am having trouble finding instructions on how to install this airport extreme kit. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katf View Post
Hello, I am having trouble finding instructions on how to install this airport extreme kit. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.
Which kit are we talking about...this the card on top in the first photo, or the blue circuit board looking card in the 2nd photo?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Merged crossposts

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport extreme printing | Connecting to PC share on Leopard »