New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Router/Networking questions, totally lost!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kittygogo

kittygogo is on a distinguished road

Up until recently, I"ve always had a pc and it's always been connected via ethernet, DSL. Now, I have an iMac (got it last July) which is currently connected via ethernet. I recently purchased an HP Mini and I want to set up the iMac and the mini to work wirelessly. Im confused and need help as i have no idea how to do this.

1. Which is the best/easier wireless router brand to set up with both Mac and pc?
2. Should I initially set up the wireless router to the pc, and if I do, will the iMac automatically see the connection? Or do I set up the iMac with the wireless router initially and then sign into the wireless network via the HP mini?
3. Will I have to sign in to the wireless network each time I go on the iMac? Or is this taken care of if it is configured in initial set up (see #2)?
4. Is there anywhere online that can guide me step by step? I know by doing research, Linksys does not support Mac, but alot of people seem to be using it.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any suggestions. I'm pretty computer savvy but this is something I have never attempted and it's my first Mac, so I'm a little nervous..my heart is beating rapidly just thinking of doing this! haha Thank you!

Kerry
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is My Built-In Ethernet Dead? | USB device server in an Airport Extreme network? »