Install AirPort Extreme Card, then what?
    After browsing posts in this site and pages in the Apple site, I'm still confused about this whole AirPort Extreme thing (which I'll call AE from now on). My assumption to this point is that after installing an AE Card, I can connect wirelessly to the Internet via the "base station", am I correct? If so, then I need to buy the base station as well, right? Or could I use a Linksys wireless router that I already have?

I also read something about the AE Card being able to communicate with a remote printer (i.e. one in another room) - is this true? If so, what device would go into the printer's USB port to achieve this?

I just basically want to read about actual experiences with AE so I can get an idea of its uses. At this point I'm not sure whether it's something I want bundled with my future Mac or not, but it's got me curious enough to find out more about it before making a final decision.

The Airport Extreme Card is half the equation. You need a base station in order to reach the internet. The linksys wireless router should work fine for connecting out.

Similarly in order to print to the printer it will need to be hooked up to a computer on the network or into a base station that supports printing (Such as either the Arport Extreme or Express base stations) in order to print to it remotely.

So if I use the Linksys wireless router, will the AE Card automatically detect a signal coming from it? As for the wireless printing, I guess the AE base station is an unavoidable purchase, right?

San Antonio, Texas
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    no, the ae base station is not unavoidable, if your router has a usb port, as many do, especially linksys, you can connect the printer to the router via usb and print wirelessly.

Yes your Mac should autodetect the Access Point. In reference to printing, it depends on the Access Point. What linksys do you own?

and also if your printer will allow you to print that way...alot of printers arent supported under the airport base station so im sure that goes hand in hand with alot of other routers aswell, check your printer and make sure its compatiable with the router

New Jersey
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    Most HPs will allow you to print that way if you have an HP it will work fine
    My Website
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Thread Information