New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Should my airport card be...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomster2300

tomster2300 is on a distinguished road

70 C in my late 2007 white MacBook? It stays at 69 or higher, and I believe it may be the reason for my fans continuously coming on.

It also seems to stay around 77 C during the day.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The airport card running at 70C is normal. Mine has been running at that temp for the past 18 months since my MacBook was new. However, 77C during the day seems a bit high to me but I'm not sure.

Your fans are not specifically tied to the heat generated by the airport card. Rather they are thermally controlled by the overall temperature mostly driven by heat dissipation from the CPU and GPU.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The airport card running at 70°C is normal. Mine has been running at that temp for the past 18 months since my MacBook was new. However, 77°C during the day seems a bit high to me but I'm not sure.
I agree. My Airport card right now is 69° and it is always the warmest piece of hardware in MB. Now, mind you, I am downloading something right now.

I can't really comment on whether or not 77° is reasonable or not but I do agree that it seems that it's a bit warm. After doing a quick search online, most people seem to have it running at high-60's/low-70's. What are you doing in terms of network usage when you see it get to 77°?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
tomster2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I agree. My Airport card right now is 69 and it is always the warmest piece of hardware in MB. Now, mind you, I am downloading something right now.

I can't really comment on whether or not 77 is reasonable or not but I do agree that it seems that it's a bit warm. After doing a quick search online, most people seem to have it running at high-60's/low-70's. What are you doing in terms of network usage when you see it get to 77?
Usually nothing more than surfing the web with Safari and possibly watching some videos here and there. Nothing too crazy, which has made me worried.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster2300 View Post
Usually nothing more than surfing the web with Safari and possibly watching some videos here and there. Nothing too crazy, which has made me worried.
Watching the videos is what really makes the CPU's & GPU run hot.

If I'm not watching videos...my laptop runs 10-15C cooler.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Watching the videos is what really makes the CPU's & GPU run hot.

If I'm not watching videos...my laptop runs 10-15C cooler.

- Nick
I agree, especially if it's a Flash video. I don't know if this would directly increase the temperature of the Airport card though. That said, if you are using a lot of bandwidth (which definitely comes from streaming large amounts of content), it makes sense that the card temp will increase to reflect the increase in usage.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I agree, especially if it's a Flash video. I don't know if this would directly increase the temperature of the Airport card though. That said, if you are using a lot of bandwidth (which definitely comes from streaming large amounts of content), it makes sense that the card temp will increase to reflect the increase in usage.
Yes...the Airport card detail does add an interesting "twist" to the situation. I would think that if the temperature of the MacBook is increasing due to watching video content...that basically most components inside the laptop are warming up simply due to the increased heat (conduction or convection) inside of the little MacBook "box".

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kem

kem is on a distinguished road

Hi, everybody,

I installed iStat Menu yesterday in MB Air and today in MB.
In MB with PC cooler, I surprised to find the Airport card temperature is around 65 C, but 48 C for CPU.
So, I checked iStat Menu in MB Air.
It looks normal; 34 for AP and 45 for CPU, lower than ~10 deg from CPU.

Is the temperature of AP in MB really normal??
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

My MB's Airport card right now is 56 but it just woke up from sleeping. It will no doubt get in to the high 60s as the day goes on.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
tomster2300

After installing Snow Leopard yesterday the Airport temperatures have been staying in the 60s, low 70s. It's too early to say anything definite, but could software fix an issue like this? I guess making things operate more efficiently would cause less strain on a part, in turn equaling less heat. I haven't tried charging my battery past 99% though (which is when the fans usually come on). I've reset the SMC controller numerous times to solve this, but nothing has permanently fixed it so far.

What do you guys think? I'm loving Snow Leopard btw - my entire Macbook is running faster. Its kind of breathed new life into my two year old machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Express: What am I doing wrong? | Wireless Detection No Longer Functional »