New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Machine - Disk problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Beck8242

Beck8242 is on a distinguished road

MacBook Pro OSX 10.5.8.

I've just bought an Iomega 500Gb external USB Drive and formatted it with Disk Utility as 2 Partitions both OSX Extended. This was with drive connected directly to USB Port.

I have now connected the drive to the USB Port of my BT Home Hub. It is shown in the BT Home Hub Manager screen as a connected Device. BT Home Hub supports USB Disk Drives.

When I open Time Machine and try to select Backup Drive, it is not available.

It also does not appear in Finder.

How do I access it.

Thanks

Becko
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

I am not all that familiar with this device, but most of them work the same. First you need to make sure that you have enabled TimeMachine to use unsupported volumes:

How to enable Time Machine on unsupported volumes

Next, you need to mount the drive as a share on your local machine. As to how you do this with your device, you will have to look at the documentation. With AEBS, the router itself shows up as a device/node on my network and any drives connected with external USB show up as shares just like any other computer.

Essentially you just need to 'see' the shares on the machine you want to back up.

After you have enabled the 'unsupported' volumes using the link about and mounted the shares TM should see it as a valid backup volume.
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine - Wireless | Airport Extreme »