New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Express w/ Router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yellow19man

yellow19man will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED

I have a Linksys 4-port router (Not wireless). My friend is selling his AirPort Express for super cheap.

Question.
Instead of going out and buying a wireless router can I just buy the AirPort Express from my friend and plug it into my Linksys router and have wireless access? Is anyone here on this forum doing this or have tried this before?

Thanks.

1st - Performa 5200 75MHz // 2nd - B&W G3 300MHz // 3rd - MBP C2D 2.2 GHz

1st - iPod Touch 8gig
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The Airport Express is a wireless router. You won't need the Linksys.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, unless you need the wired access points the Linksys provides.
In which case, yes, you should be able to plug it into your Linksys.

I use a Time Capsule plugged into a D-Link router.

Plus if it's a friend, get him to bring it over and plug it in to check it out.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
yellow19man

I still want to use the wired ports from the Linksys. I barely ever use wireless internet but would like the option of using it in the kitchen once in a while. Being able to easily disconnect the wireless part by just unplugging the AirPort Express from the Linksys router would be a huge plus.

My friend lives on the other side of the country. Can't just have him come over and try it out. With shipping I would be paying under $25 for it. I was just hoping someone here has tried it or is currently using this set-up.

Guess for $25 I'm not really taking a huge risk, guess I'll have him send it over.

Thanks for the input guys.

1st - iPod Touch 8gig
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You would not unplug the Airport Express from the modem/router if you want to access the internet. It will need to remain connected. It provides a wireless network that will allow your computer that has a wireless card in it to access the net without it being wired.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
yellow19man

A little confusion going on here.

I have my cable modem connected to my wired router. Wired router connected to my MBP. I prefer using wired over wireless and I usually don't need to roam around the house with my MBP.

The reason I'm asking about the Airport Express into the wired router is because I've had some guests come over with their notebooks and having wireless internet would be more convenient. Plus, bringing my notebook to the kitchen while streaming something on the internet would be nice as well.

Since I would be using my wireless connection for maybe 1 hour a month I want an easy and cheap way to disconnect my wireless option and only have my wired connection active.

That is why I want to buy my friend's Airport Express because it is cheap (since I won't be using wireless internet for more than an hour a month) and just disconnecting the Airport Express from the wired router is easy as 1,2,3.

Hope that clears things up.

PS. just re-read my post. This was a waste of a post.

1st - iPod Touch 8gig
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet from Macbook to Xbox 360 using sprint mobile broadband card | Problem setting up iMac/Samsung printer network! »