New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AP Extreme Air Disk - Performance tweaks, tips, stats

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stephen G

Stephen G is on a distinguished road

So I've been using air disk on my Airport Extreme 802.11n, 100mbit model (pre-gigabit, pre-dualband). I now want to work at tweaking it for better AirDisk performance before I give up and go for the dualband (if that even helps performance).

Current setup-
* iMac 24" Snow Leopard & Macbook pro 13" Leopard (Snow Leopard soon)..both latest models running on 802.11n
* Airport Extreme 802.11n (pre-gigabit/dualband) running in 802.11n/g/n mode as I have a Wii & iPhones running in b/g space.
* USB2 Hub connected to AP Extreme, to which I have 2 USB2 drives plugged in. Both are HFS+ Journaled.

Initially I was seeing 1-1.25MB/s write speed. (bad)
So I ran some WiFi scans and moved from Channel 1 to Channel 11 as my neighbors had strong signals on Channels 1,6,7.
Now I am seeing 1.25MB/s-2.8MB/s, but really its all over the place in that range. Even 2.8MB/s is not that impressive.

Questions-
Journaling
I've read that disabling journaling on USB drives can double performance. Is this true? What are the downsides?

Dual band
Does the new model, dual-band, allowing the 802.11n clients to live @ 5gbz spectrum really make a big difference in throughput?

USB hub/multiple hard drives
Does using a USB hub impact performance at all? I've read that Apple recommends using a USB hub for bus-powered disks on the AP Extreme.
Does having multiple disks on that USB hub impact performance during non-simultaneous use?
When I ran testing I was only accessing 1 drive at a time. Clearly accessing both at same time would result in a performance hit, but what about just having them both there, idle?

Snow Leopard
Has anyone seen performance improvement/degradation on upgrading to Snow Leopard?

If anyone has performance numbers on their setup, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 802.11n | livebox internet connection »