New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Internet problem after installing snow leopard.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNeRd87

MacNeRd87 is on a distinguished road

Hi I just purchased and installed Snow leopard on my new mac book and the internet doesn't work now. Any one know whats going one? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Are you using Wireless or Wired?
QUOTE Thanks
MacNeRd87

wireless
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Have you tried fixing it using Network in System Preferences? Have you turned off, and then on, your Airport connection?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNeRd87

Yes, I have tried using system preferences. It says Airport is on but not connected to a network. When I try to connect to the network I normally would use I get a error sign reading " Error trying to connect to "netgear" please try again later"
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

If I was to try and fix this problem at home, I'd start by restarting my Mac and turning off & on the router to reset it. If that didn't work, I'd turn off Airport and remove the entry via the Network System preferences and reboot. Then try joining again.

You have a difficult problem to solve which sounds like it will take some hacking around to solve. Hopefully this isn't an incompatibility with Leopard and your router.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
racvac

racvac is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem. I use AirPort. In my network status, in system preferences, I have a green light for AirPort, Airport Settings, Network Settings, ISP. I have a red/yellow light, for Internet and Server. I have tried restarting, etc. I can access my wireless on all other computers except the one that was updated.
QUOTE Thanks
tbcal

I have a smiliar problem I have two macbook pros one it about a year older the new one I bought in the past year, and the internet works fine on the old one but not on the new one? both upgraded yesterday ?
QUOTE Thanks
MacNeRd87

Finally! Thanks to everyones help I was able to fix my problem. For anyone else with similar problems check to see if you are using a router of some sort. I simply restarted my mac and router and was on my way. Its all smiles and sunshine from here on out. Thanks again for everyones help.

P.s. its always such a simple solution haha
QUOTE Thanks
marvinandroid

marvinandroid is on a distinguished road

Just upgraded my wife's mac book white 2.0ghz to Snow Leopard and now neither mail or safari will connect to the internet. Crazy thing is Airport reports it is connected to our network although network diagnostics says it isn't. Can connect to NAS drive on the internet network. My MacBook Pro on Leopard work fine. Tried restarting cable modem, Belkin Router, and Mac Book with no sucess!

Any other ideas anyone??

marvin
QUOTE Thanks
docmcconl

docmcconl is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone! I struggled with a similar problem for about two hours after upgrading to Snow Leopard, but I finally figured out (what seems to be) a solution:

1. Go into your router's administration page and find your DNS server(s).
2. Open up Network Preferences in your System Preferences window.
3. In the Advanced section, click on the DNS tab.
4. Manually add the DNS servers you looked up in Step 1.

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
recycleanimals

recycleanimals is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcconl View Post
Hey everyone! I struggled with a similar problem for about two hours after upgrading to Snow Leopard, but I finally figured out (what seems to be) a solution:

1. Go into your router's administration page and find your DNS server(s).
2. Open up Network Preferences in your System Preferences window.
3. In the Advanced section, click on the DNS tab.
4. Manually add the DNS servers you looked up in Step 1.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I was going crazy trying to figure out how to connect to the internet after installing Snow Leopard and that worked. I was especially frustrated because my Network Preferences said I was connected to my wireless, but neither Firefox nor Safari nor any other app that requires internet would load. Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
Mgolemi

Mgolemi is on a distinguished road

Where is the router's administration page found?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgolemi View Post
What brand and model is your router?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgolemi View Post
Sheesh, look at your manual. It depends on your router and you'll have to log into it to make changes.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virgin Media and Airport Express | Airport card- WEP/WPA?? »