New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Installed Tiger on iBook G3, now no internet.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bubbles22

bubbles22 is on a distinguished road

I have a iBook G3 800Mhz 640 RAM with an airport card. I am trying to update it so my young children can use it for the internet.
When I was running OS X 10.2.1 last week, I could go on the internet, wireless signal detected immediately - perfect.
Then I installed Tiger 10.4.6, no internet, no wireless network detection, so updated to 10.4.9, and no change. I updated the firmware to my router
linksys WRT54G version 2, no change.
My wireless card is AirPort, Firmware is 9.52, and it says "Wireless Network is not available" _ I have 2 other Mac's with Leopard in the house operating wirelessly from the same router, so I know it is all good signal wise etc, and most importantly THIS computer was connecting too before loading Tiger.
I cannot connect via ethernet either. System Profiler says the Location is active, but in Network diagnostics it says it is not connected t a DSL modem or an Ethernet network - which it clearly is.
Please help me, I have spent days on this, and there is no more I know to do. It's still a great computer, especially for internet for a 5 year old - and I am so close, yet so very far...
QUOTE Thanks
Machappy1

Machappy1 is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain. Same computer...switched to Verizon MiFi because satellite a pain. Other newer computer works fine with MiFi...this one I can't get the computer to find the MIFi. Very frustrating. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

You could try an Apple store, if they would even support a G3 anymore. That's a strange issue. Is it possible that maybe something internally failed at the same time you made the upgrade?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
bubbles22

It isn't under warranty anymore, and I feel it is a software issue because I the airport and internet connect was working beautifully with the older operating system.
I did install Tiger twice, because I saw the problem the first time, thought the same thing, reinstalled it to find the same problem
QUOTE Thanks
bubbles22

Machappy, Good luck to you too.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

I don't know what to say. you could always go to the genius bar. It won't hurt for them to take a look and they shouldn't charge you a penny. Now, if it needs a major repair, you can decide whether you want to pay for it or not.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting to college network | MAC book school issued »