New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport finding neighbors wireless router before mine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BuzzBrown190

BuzzBrown190 is on a distinguished road

I have recently moved to a neighborhood where airport on both my MacBook Pro and MacBook finds several wireless networks when I first start up my computers. For some reason it always lites on a neighbor's network even though the signal strength is inferior and mine is at full strength. Is there a way to delete other networks from the memory or make my network the default so I do not have to go into Airport each time and select my network? I am sure this is an easy fix for many of you, but I just do not know how to resolve this. Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Click on System Preferences, click on Network, and then hit the Advanced button. You'll see a list of wireless networks. If your neighbor's is located above yours, then it's set to connect to that one first. Either drag it down or simply remove it from the list by clicking on the minus button.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
BuzzBrown190

BuzzBrown190 is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I appreciate your quick and helpful response.
QUOTE Thanks
Frites

Frites is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Two Laptops 1) iBook G4 w/OSX 10.4.11 2) MacBook Pro w/OSX 10.5.8

Greetings, I have a similar problem with several WiFi networks appearing in the available list. My network is secured checked as default but Airport may unpredictably & spontaneously switch to another network that is not secured. This is noticed only when a lower signal strength is observed. I would like to permently ignore all the other networks and have them not appear in the list. Tnx, Frites
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Then just follow the steps provided by Kash and "delete" the other networks from your list using the minus sign after you've highlighted each one.
If your network is the only one in the list, then it's the only one Airport will connect to.
QUOTE Thanks
Frites

Thanks !! Quick reply !! One more question. I travel and find WiFi places here & there. I assume they will appear & vanish from the list as I move about. Correct ?? Tnx, Frites
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frites View Post
Thanks !! Quick reply !! One more question. I travel and find WiFi places here & there. I assume they will appear & vanish from the list as I move about. Correct ?? Tnx, Frites
That all depends on if you actually connect to the network. If you connect to the open network, and have the box checked saying "Remember any network this computer has joined", then it will keep it in that list.
QUOTE Thanks
Frites

Greetings,
The machine is an iBook G4 running OS X 10.4.11.
I follow the Preference/Network/Advanced instructions as offered by Kash to remove unwanted WiFi networks and noticed 2 things. There is no “Advanced “ option. At the Preference/Network window, a small dropdown window appears with message “Your Network Settings have been changed by another application”. This message window includes an “OK” button. I click “OK” and the message window rolls up then down again. This will persist endlessly. The Preference/Network window can not be closed but apps in the dock will open. To clear the Preference/Network window I must force a reboot using the power button.
The problem is no longer the list of WiFi networks. It’s the “Your Network Settings have been…” message and that it essentially freezes in place the Preference/Network window and prevents exercising any network options.
Any help would be appreciated…
Tnx, Frites
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« eMac wireless | System Preferences/Network window freezes in place »