New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Very slow wireless internet!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drummerkid1993

drummerkid1993 is an unknown at this point

A few days ago my wireless internet speeds severely decreased.

I'm using a Belkin wireless router. Airport shows all bars full and speedtest.net shows me my usual speed (16mps dnl 0.72mps upl)

I'm on a 13' unibody MB from late 2008.

I haven't changed anything but all of a sudden my speeds have decreased. I'm worried it might be a trojan but I did a ClamXav scan and found nothing.

Help?

EDIT: I should add I have cable broadband running into a modem which then connects to my router to get wireless.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Most likely the broadband connection. Someone new in the neighberhood sucking up the band speed. The more things connected,TVS,etc the slower it gets. Could be the modem. Try resetting it. Modems do go bad.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Are you using a secure connection? If you're getting wireless in the clear, someone may be piggy backing on your signal sucking up your bandwidth. That will definitely slow you down. Make sure you have security setup in your router. Use WPA2 to secure your signal.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
drummerkid1993

drummerkid1993 is an unknown at this point

I have it password secured and I'm only using one device (my laptop) I've unplugged both the modem and router from the wall for 30 seconds and reconnected. I'll contact my ISP.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook won't pick up wireless networks unless 2 feet from base station | Managing Remote Connections »