Kent, OH
    15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
    Connected, but not connected??
    Since I've gotten my new DSL service, my MacBook Pro has been having an annoying problem in which, quite frequently, the icon in the Menu Bar shows that I am connected when I am not. My wife does not have this problem with her MacBook. If I open Network Preferences, it says "AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet". If I click on Advanced and look at the TCP/IP tab, it show that I have an Ip4V Address and a Subnet Mask, but no Router. If I click Renew DHCP License", they disappear for a moment and then reappear, but still no Router. I have all the same settings as my wife, but she connects to the internet just fine. This doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen several times a day. Sometimes, I won't be able to access the net for several hours unless I plug in the ethernet cable. As this is a laptop, that is not a convenient option. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help me.
    -- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
    -- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --

Napier NZ
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Couple of questions is your modem or modem/router set to hand out the DHCP and what unit is doing the wireless? if it is an airport device is it set to bridge mode? Is the MBP Sys Prefs/Network/Airport set to Using DHCP?

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Also in addition to what Collin asked, What DSL service is this and what Modem did they give you? What is the router? Is it a different router than you were using before this new DSL?

I think Collin is on to the issue about DHCP. Sounds like only one address is being handed out. I know the old Speedstream DSL modems AT&T were handing out could only do one IP address unless they were put in bridged mode and used as a modem for an external router.

Thread Information