New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac - Slow internet problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BearcatSA

BearcatSA is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a brand new 24" iMac intel-based (Leopard) computer which is more than twice as slow playing a streaming YouTube video compared to my old six year old PC (using Windows 98). Here is the video I played (2:36):

YouTube - Eddie Murray

My old PC: 7 minutes 30 seconds to play
New iMac: 18 minutes 30 seconds!

Using the same modem and ADSL line (in British Columbia, it's TELUS high speed lite), I realize I'm on the slowest of the high speed connections (speeds of up to 256 Kbps), but shouldn't my new computer be quicker than my old one?

If this topic has already been discussed, then could someone link me to that discussion. Thanks

iMac 24" Intel based Leopard, 2.66 GHz processor OS X 10.5.7
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

How are you hooking up the Mac to the Internet? Is it connected directly to the modem or is it connecting via a router? If through a router, then is it physically connected or is it a wireless connection? If it's wireless, then do you have any form of security on the wireless network, and if you do then what kind is it?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
BearcatSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
How are you hooking up the Mac to the Internet? Is it connected directly to the modem or is it connecting via a router? If through a router, then is it physically connected or is it a wireless connection? If it's wireless, then do you have any form of security on the wireless network, and if you do then what kind is it?
It's wired, to a D-Link DSL-300G ADSL modem. Modem and internet connections tested fine.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That video is 2:36. Here on my 4 year old iMac G5 it takes 2:36 to play as there is no delay from my internet connection. It makes no sense that your new Mac would take that much longer to get the whole video down so you can watch it.

I was thinking maybe it was cached on your older Windows system but if so it would play instantly and take 2:36 to play.

With a 256mbps internet connection no computer is going to be able to play it with it pausing while the internet catches up, but I see no reason the Mac should take longer. Are you using Safari?
QUOTE Thanks
BearcatSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
That video is 2:36. Here on my 4 year old iMac G5 it takes 2:36 to play as there is no delay from my internet connection. It makes no sense that your new Mac would take that much longer to get the whole video down so you can watch it.

I was thinking maybe it was cached on your older Windows system but if so it would play instantly and take 2:36 to play.

With a 256mbps internet connection no computer is going to be able to play it with it pausing while the internet catches up, but I see no reason the Mac should take longer. Are you using Safari?
I concede that it will take longer using my current internet connection, no problem there. But to take that much longer than my old PC seems very strange.

I have run the video through both Safari and Firefox on this iMac with the same results.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

How about if you try downloading a few files. Try the same file download on both the PC and the Mac.

Also run a DSL speed test on both systems. Do you get the same basic numbers? speedtest.net is one many use.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Unless someone has a completely obsolete computer...this thread has nothing to do with the age of the computer...or whether it's a PC or a Mac...and has EVERYTHING to do with your internet connection!

A 2:36 video from You-Tube should take just that 2 minutes & 36 seconds to play (assuming a decent internet connection speed)!

If you have a slow internet connection...then of course it will take longer to play, because the download speed may be very slow.

I just did it on my 3 year old 2.33ghz MBP. The video took 2:36...just like it should to play.

Now playback quality is a different matter. An older PC or Mac with a slower processor & slower graphics hardware will have poorer playback quality, where the video & sound will be "choppy".

But even an older computer will still take 2:36 to play a 2:36 as long as you have a decent speed internet connection!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Unless someone has a completely obsolete computer...this thread has nothing to do with the age of the computer...or whether it's a PC or a Mac...and has EVERYTHING to do with your internet connection!
Exactly.

If one of your computer's connection is poor and the other is fine, try power-cycling your network setup.

Computer age/speed has very little to do with internet speed.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSA View Post
I concede that it will take longer using my current internet connection, no problem there. But to take that much longer than my old PC seems very strange.
What your not figuring in is internet connection speeds can vary from minute to minute depending on demand...and even if YOUR connection speed is great...you also have to figure in the connection speed of the You-Tube website.

As the You-Tube website demand goes up & down...the transfer rate from the website can be slow or fast as well.

I highly highly doubt that the play back speed of this video has anything to do with the hardware...especially a newer iMac like you have!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
BearcatSA

Quote:
How about if you try downloading a few files. Try the same file download on both the PC and the Mac.

Also run a DSL speed test on both systems. Do you get the same basic numbers? speedtest.net is one many use.
Here's the speed test results:

Download: 0.11 Mb/s
Upload: 0.05 Mb/s
Video Clip (35 MB): 43 minutes
MP3 File (5 MB): 6 minutes
Movie (800 MB): 975 minutes
Ping: 139 ms

By the way, thanks to everyone for all the comments, help, and feedback. I'm not computer person, as you can tell.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Is the above data on just the Mac or on both the Mac and Windows machine?
QUOTE Thanks
BearcatSA

Quote:
Is the above data on just the Mac or on both the Mac and Windows machine?
That's off the iMac. The old PC had these readings off of two back to back tests from the same server location:

Download: 0.11 Mb/s 0.11
Upload: 0.04 Mb/s 0.05
Video Clip (35 MB): 41 minutes 42
MP3 File (5 MB): 6 minutes 6
Movie (800 MB): 941 minutes 961
Ping: 127 ms 149

I did another video download streaming/play test on this video:

YouTube - Eddie Murray Home Run, Baltimore Orioles 1985

a 57 second video, it took my old PC three minutes to download and play it through the first time, whereas my new iMac took seven minutes and twenty seconds to do the same.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Is Flash up to date?

Adobe - Adobe Flash Player

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
BearcatSA

Flash is up to date
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Have you tried more than one browser?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airtunes using "virtual" airport. (1 Mac and 1 PC's) | I need a new router. I was thinking of upgrading to 802.11N via Time Capsule »