New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

problems staying on wireless?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ajwf

ajwf is on a distinguished road

I'm having issues staying connected to my home wireless connection from my new macbook pro. I used the assistant to make the new wiress connection spot, used my wep 128 hex key pass and mac even saved my pass to keychain. But whenever I'm using the internet, after about 20 minutes or so, the wireless just stops! The network diagnostics assistant shows all red on the side where it says airport, ip and everything else. I try using the same pass i use in keychain (sometimes it comes up automatically), with it always telling me "connection timed out".

But then, sometimes it just self corrects itself. But not enough of the time. What is going onnnn?
QUOTE Thanks
ajwf

hello??? Nobody knows?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Any particular reason you're using WEP? WEP is really quite dated and is easily hackable. Switch it over to WPA (or better yet WPA2). Not only will it be a lot more secure, it should be faster, more reliable and easier to use (since you only need to use a simple password, rather than a 26 character key).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ajwf

I use WEP cause thats the only security my router has.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwf View Post
I use WEP cause thats the only security my router has.
If your router is less than 6 years old, it should also offer WPA. And if it doesn't it might just need a quick firmware update. Well worth the trouble, IMO.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airtunes + Netgear wireless N WNR2000 | Airport and Scanning? »