New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

networking my macbook and my pc?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kingrandy

kingrandy is on a distinguished road

hi i am new to mac and was wondering if there is a way to network my macbook and my windows baced pc so i can get music and movies off my pc and on to my macbook?
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
andrewtj

andrewtj is on a distinguished road

Sure do you have both computers on a wired or wireless network already? If so, to turn on File Sharing (to other computers) on OS X head to the Sharing section of System Preferences (found via the Apple menu).

Accessing a share (unless you have changed the defaults) can be done by opening Finder and select the appropriate machine from the 'Shared' section on the left-hand pane (applies to both shares from both OS X and Windows).
QUOTE Thanks
kingrandy

kingrandy is on a distinguished road

Well the pc is wired and the MacBook is wire less
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

On your Win machine - open up Windows Explorer - find your My Documents folder and right click on it.

In the popup menu select 'Sharing and Security'

In the box that pops up - put a check next to 'Share this folder on the network'
Set the Share Name to whatever you would like
If they're both your computers and user accounts you can check off 'Allow network users to change my files' - I usually don't

Click on Apply and OK

Windows will do it's thing - it should how up in Finder on your Mac in just a minute or so. It'll be listed under 'Shared' in the sidebar.

If you don't have a section called 'Shared' on the sidebar - open up Finder Preferences and on the General tab - you can put a check next to everything under the Shared section - won't hurt anything

Of course, this will share everything in the documents folder - if you don't want to do that, it's the same actions for sharing only your music or video folders.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internet | Has anyone ever heard of using Virtual Private Networks to access blocked sites? »