New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Has anyone ever heard of using Virtual Private Networks to access blocked sites?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lizzy Borden

Lizzy Borden is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac osx 10.5.8

I'm thinking of hooking up with a VPN so that I can access U.S. video streaming sites from Canada. I have heard that Hotspot Shield is a good free service. I'm quite the newbie at this. Is this easy to set up? Is it legal and safe to use sites like Hulu.com? Does anyone have some advice or a How To site that can help me get started on setting up the VPN? Any concerns I should have? In particular I would like to watch streaming video from the U.S. networks. T.V. shows, movies, etc. They won't allow Canadians to access their videos. How do other Canadians get around the blocks from the networks? I do know of downloading from torrents, but that is illegal.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
andrewtj

andrewtj is on a distinguished road

I believe access to Hulu from Hotspot Shield has been blocked. If you have your own US-based virtual server (you can find them from around $5 a month) then you can install a VPN server and access Hulu, et al. PopTop is a good candidate to use as a VPN server for this purpose as there's a lot of guides for setting it up and no special client software is needed on Windows or OS X to connect to it.
QUOTE Thanks
strayduck

strayduck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15in Unibody Macbook Pro Rev. F (2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM)

On legality, I suspect that using a proxy or VPN to get at content which is restricted in that way is probably illegal, although I expect the onus is on Hulu to secure their content from such access rather than expecting people to be good boys and girls and not try.
QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

I have a VPN link to my work site and the IT department has given me a username and password. Just loading the VPN software on my computer does not get me thru the firewall.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« networking my macbook and my pc? | Help needed setting up network with Airport Extreme and Airport Express »