New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Where is my wireless?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

krumlin

krumlin is on a distinguished road

I just bought an 8 core mac pro and I can't find the wireless options to set up the airport internet network. When I bought it I did NOT ad the $50 "AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n" because I am under the impressions that "extreme" is a faster wireless add-on, but that the mac pro comes with a standard wireless by default.
My friend just bought a computer before me and DID NOT add this Extreme wi-fi card either -but the computer DID come with wireless internet capabilities. My question is:
Did my computer come with a standard wireless? If so how do I set it up? If not what do I need to get exactly??
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Extreme is what Apple has called their Wireless cards for years now and has nothing to do with a faster card. There is no slower Wireless card.

If you look at the specs here you will see no WiFi comes with a stock Mac Pro. Look at the Built To Order Options. It has to be added in.

Apple - Mac Pro - Tech Specs
QUOTE Thanks
krumlin

That's great thank you for pointing this out. What would be helpful though is if someone could tell me what I need to buy to get wireless internet on my new 8core mac. I searched the apple store and this was the only result:
AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (U.S.)
Is this what I need, and is this really the only option to get wireless on my computer?
Again, I already have this mac so built to order is not an option.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I knew you had the Mac but was just pointing out that the Airport Extreme card has to be added when you order.

That Express Base Station is not what you need. I will check and get back to you. I know Apple on the Mac Pros wants to install the Airport Express card themselves, but there was a URL somewhere on how to do just that. I will see if I can find it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

All the install guides I have found are for the older Mac Pro. The new 8-Core is different inside. If you do install it yourself you run the risk of voiding your warranty. If I were you I would take it to an Apple Store and have them install the Airport Extreme for you.

If I do find a guide for your Mac Pro I will give you the URL, but so far nothing for that new model.

EDIT: If you want to give it a try, I did find a URL who I trust that sells the Airport Extreme card and they say there are instructions for installing in any Mac Pro.

Apple Airport Extreme- 802.11n Wireless Mini-... (661-5048) at OWC

Unless you are very good with hardware, I would still let Apple do it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
krumlin

I can't void my warranty, thanks anyway. It's my fault but because of a sequence of events I was lead to believe I did not need to order that airport extreme.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As a suggestion contact your local Apple store and first get a quote for sup[ply and install. Not the easiest job in the world.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Setting Up A Network to Share Files Between OS X and XP | Thinking of buying a Time Capsule »