New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Thinking of buying a Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZEEK

ZEEK has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.

Hey guys, i found a good deal on 1TB time capsule here, i am new to mac and i have had an imac and now macbook pro 13". Im only left with macbook pro now so my question is, is it worth buying time capsule? What are the advantages of having it? I have two other windows laptops and one windows desktop, is it compatible with all? Does time capsule act as a wireless router as well? I dont know anything about time capsule so any help or tip would be great, TIA
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

TC is a router, a HD and a wireless router as well. New units are dual antenna which means 802.11n for laptops and imacs while at the same time 802.11g for iPhones and Printers. Basically one piece of equipment for a bunch of functions. Is it worth buying? - how long is a piece of string.
QUOTE Thanks
ZEEK

so my windows computers will also work with it flawlessly? There is one local for 240. Its the new 1tb one. is that a good deal?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEK View Post
so my windows computers will also work with it flawlessly? There is one local for 240. Its the new 1tb one. is that a good deal?
I wouldn't even tell you it will work with your Mac's "flawlessly".

Don't believe I've ever seen the piece of computer related hardware function "flawlessly".

If you're really looking for "flawless", I'd suggest looking somewhere other than computer gear.

$240? I wouldn't pay $240 used for one and I have a 1TB Time Capsule.
You can get a refurbished 1TB from Apple for $249 and have a full one year warranty from Apple.
$200 used? - maybe - if I needed a router also.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ZEEK

flawlessly i meant with no problems lol, its actually new in box.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There's no such thing as NIB buying from an individual- don't care what they say, it's used as soon as they walked out of the store with it.

However, if it still has 10-11 months of the original warranty and is the new version TC and not the previous model, at a 20% discount, that would be a decent price. Any more than that and I'd pay for a new one myself.

(flawlessly - no problems - same thing - I've owned over 50 computers along with the modems, routers, printers, scanners and everything else that goes along with them over the last 28 years (built maybe another 100 and did tech support for 2+ years). If you are using your equipment, there is not a device made that is not going to provide some sort of headache during or at the end of it's lifetime.

Having said that, I have as yet to have any issues with my TC over the last year and 1/2. However, only a salesman would guarantee you'll not have any problems.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ZEEK

thanks for confirming bob, I dont really NEED it, im a electronic freak so i buy everything i like lol. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where is my wireless? | Do i need Dual Band? »