New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Timecapsule and AT&T modem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tcriss75

tcriss75 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I previously had Comcast as my ISP and recently switched to AT&T. After 6 hours on the phone with AT&T, 1 hour on the phone with Apple and 5 days I finally got my internet working but the problem is I can't access my Timecapsule as my main router. I have to use the 2Wire which means that no one can access my Itunes library and I can't do back ups on my Timecapsule. AT&T eluded to doing something called bridging that would basically make my Timecapsule the main router. I am really frustrated w/ AT&T at this point and don't know if anyone else has had the same issues or any luck bridging the two routers. Any help would be much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
moe.ron

moe.ron is on a distinguished road

I just had my att dsl connected today and also had problems with my Time Capsule. It seems that the Time Capsule wont relay the DHCP from the westell modem, so the Time Capsule Bridge Mode doesnt work.

I was able to get mine working by logging into the westell modem and under the Advanced -> Connection Configuration, I changed the last option on the page: 'Let LAN device share Internet Address'. This assigns the modem address to the Time Capsule (or air port). Then you can go into the time capsule config and set connection sharing to 'Share a public IP address'.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

To the OP, what Modem did AT&T give you? The White AT&T Modem/Router or something else?

If you tell me the exact brand and model I can probably help you.
QUOTE Thanks
moe.ron

I just noticed that the Time Capsule will show an error if you set the DHCP range 192.168.1.x. It thinks there are two devices serving DHCP in the same range due to the modem address of 192.168.1.254. So make the range on the Time Capsule 10.0.1.x or 172.16.1.x.
QUOTE Thanks
moe.ron

FYI... Mine is the Black ADSL/Router manufactured by Westell.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is there a model number? I will try and find the manual and get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
moe.ron

Model number: F90-610025-06
Software Ver: 01.00.06.05

Mine is working fine after making the changes I noted above. If you can tell me why the Time Capsule wont relay DHCP from this device (Time Capsule in Bridge Mode), I would appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Satellite Internet Drops... | Using Airport Express only to print »