New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

How to lock your WIFI

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joakim

joakim is on a distinguished road

Hi, I live in an apt and I noticed that during the day, my internet connection would slow down significantly. I do not have a lock on my wireless because I never had the need but now I suspect my neighbor is stealing my connection.
I do not have one clue on how to password protect it. If anyone can provide a step by step instructions, I'd really appreciate it.
I also share my internet with my boyfriend who uses a PC and he runs Windows XP. Last time I tried to do this on my own, his computer was not able to connect. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joakim View Post
Hi, I live in an apt and I noticed that during the day, my internet connection would slow down significantly. I do not have a lock on my wireless because I never had the need but now I suspect my neighbor is stealing my connection.
I do not have one clue on how to password protect it. If anyone can provide a step by step instructions, I'd really appreciate it.
I also share my internet with my boyfriend who uses a PC and he runs Windows XP. Last time I tried to do this on my own, his computer was not able to connect. Thanks!
You can google Mac WPA2 setup.
QUOTE Thanks
hossra

hossra is on a distinguished road

Or input WPA2 into the search window on this site and find the many pages that fully answer your question.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

What router model do you have? Most routers have a simple, easy to use web interface that you can access via your web browser. You should be able to access your router by plugging into your URL bar either 192.169.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Once you get in it's a simple manner of going to the wireless settings and enabling security.

If you provide us with your make and model we can provide you with more specific directions.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My wireless printing won't work | I Can't find my network »