New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

remote login?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Greyspot Design

Greyspot Design is on a distinguished road

ok. i have about 150gb of movies, tv shows and music on an external drive connected my imac.

i want to be able to access those files from my mbp anywhere i go that has an internet connection.

if im at school, i want to be able to stream music between classes.
if im at a friends, i want to be able to watch one of the movies i have at home.

i dont want to clutter this computer with music and junk if i can stream it from home.

ideas?

free would be awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
mowgli73

mowgli73 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini, Iphone and AppleTV

I don't consider myself an expert at any level, but you maybe able create an FTP server and download the content anywhere you have an internet. One thing I am not sure is whether there are any legal issues here. Its one thing you have your friends over at your place Vs downloading your personal media at your friends place. You might want to check that with someone who knows more first.

There might be some free bees that lets you create this FTP server if MAC doesn't let you do that. Also you can register your domain via selfip.com and then have a routing mechanism on their website to your home web server (you need change the settings on your home router for this). It all free. I have seen people doing this for different purpose. Basically you can treat your web server as a file server where you can upload and load whatever content. Again, not sure about legal issues here because you dealing with media.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

good thought but not what im looking for. at least i dont think it is.

really i just want to be able to listen to the music i have on my home computer when im not at home.

from the research i have done. setting up a VPN will let me do that, but i have no idea how to set up a vpn server for free.
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

If you have a netgear router then you can simply setup a VPN.
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
If you have a netgear router then you can simply setup a VPN.
no flipping way!? do tell.
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

I cannot give you much info because I am posting this off my iPhone - however a quick google:

Setting up a VPN using NETGEAR
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

yeah... i dont see that working. i cant find anything on my router set up page about vpn.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dropping connection\ | connecting 2 Apple TV's »