New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

osx 10.4.8 update messing with my router?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soapboxcom

soapboxcom is on a distinguished road

Okay, folks far better at this stuff than a lowly writer...

Restarted my Mac today (after ages)...and it automatically updated 0S X ... and promptly booted me off of my Linksys router. (I set this up years ago with absolutely no trouble).

After hours of frustration, I started digging into the error messages...machine is claiming that Airport and Wireless are communicating...yet Airport is "using" a self identified IP address.

Upon visiting the Apple site...here's the news I got:

-----------------

After installing the Mac OS X 10.4.8 update, Macintosh computers may not be able to obtain IP addresses from some third party wireless routers.

In this event, the Mac is generally able to associate with the wireless network, but it will obtain a self-assigned IP address (169.254.x.x) and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Products Affected
Mac OS X 10.4.8, Linksys

Resolution
Turn the wireless router off and back on.
Note: This step will disconnect any clients currently connected to the wireless network provided by this router.
If restarting the router does not resolve the issue, contact the manufacturer of the third-party wireless router to resolve this issue.

----------------------
The linksys site has lots of info, none specific to my quandary. Anyone else run into this issue? I know my router is old and all...(model bef11s4 v.4)...but it serves it's purpose. My wife (PC) is connected seamlessly, so I'm pretty certain the self assigned IP is the issue...

Any help?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

10.4.8 or the just released 10.5.8?

Two different OS's.

10.4 is Tiger and .8 is an update. That is ages ago.

10.5 is Leopard and the .8 update just came out for it around 2 days ago.

I just checked and I have 4 Linksys routers here (3 as Access Pointe) and all are fine with 10.5.8.
QUOTE Thanks
Rasmus

Rasmus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2.4 GHz, OSX 10.5.8 / iMac 2.93 GHz, OSX 10.5.7

I'm having the exact same problem, after installing the 10.5.8 upgrade. I haven't seen the notice on the Apple site, but they surely can't expect me to go to my router, everytime I've had my Macbook closed?

I'm not gonna update my iMac until they resolve this...

My router is a Zyxel P-660HW-D1.
QUOTE Thanks
Rasmus

Rasmus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2.4 GHz, OSX 10.5.8 / iMac 2.93 GHz, OSX 10.5.7

I just found this: Durch Mac OS X 10.5.8 verursachte WLAN Fehler reparieren « hep-cat.de

It works! Hooray!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« problem with emac and airport extreme | Macbook Pro not working with linksys router »