New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Dial-up connection trouble: any way to diagnose?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

litlfrog

litlfrog is on a distinguished road

I do tech support at a small ISP where we still have a number of customers on dial-up. One customer has a Mac and just cannot get connected. If you've ever set up a dial-up connection then you know that there's not much to it: you just enter the access number, username, and password and the modem can dial up (at prehistoric speeds) to the Internet. My customer's on Mac OS 10.5 and just keeps getting a "failed to connect" message. On a Windows box it'd give more info about the reason for the problem. We've triple-checked all his settings and he's got a regular Mac internal modem. Does anyone know a way to diagnose this further? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

If it's a MacBook/MacBook Pro or later, it doesn't have an internal modem. You need an external modem of some kind. Apple gives you the option to buy a USB modem with your new Apple computer, but I don't know if they sell them separately.

However, if it is a PowerMac/PowerBook or earlier, I don't know what the problem is, unless your customer just hasn't set up or enabled their internal modem.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And some G5's do not come with modems either, particularly the later Dual Core models. Modems can fail so I would suggest the customer bring the machine to you and you can then try different tests to see if the machine has a working internal modem or requires a router.

If you can ever get a USB modem or adapter to work, you are very clever.
QUOTE Thanks
mgsfan18

mgsfan18 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation

I bought my apple dial up modem separately but I bought it a a apple authorized dealer and not an actually apple store.

A man who is not one for words once told me...
QUOTE Thanks
litlfrog

litlfrog is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the replies. I know it's an older Mac laptop that comes with a dial-up modem (at least, it's available to configure in System Preferences -> Network), but not what model it is. At this point I'm going to advise the customer that he'll have to take that in to a store to have them check out the modem.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If the owner has the original install disc, run Apple Hardware Test as this does check out the modem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Browsing & Access Windows Network on my Mac | When good Airports go bad »