New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule & "Host Name" cable internet: Howto?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brammargry

brammargry is on a distinguished road

Dear people,

I got this problem, which I guess it supposed to be pretty easy to solve:

I've used the Time Capsule for a long time with an adsl-internet connection without any problems. I now want to install it somewhere else, and I now use a different ISP: cable-internet that uses a "dynamic user IP" aka "host name" for identification.

A current (old) router is using the following settings to receive internet:

Question: How/where can I enter this information into the Time Capsule?

I can only find a place to enter PPPoE information or an Ethernet-option that gives me place to enter a static IP address. Both don't have the magic "host name" box....

Any experience?
QUOTE Thanks
mgmcc

mgmcc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini "Lion", iPad2, iPod Touch

Do you need a "Host Name"?

I'm actually in the UK with Cable broadband, but the Host Name field in my routers has always been left blank and it isn't allocated by DHCP.
QUOTE Thanks
brammargry

I'm in the Netherlands; the code in the host-name field is really the only thing that identifies me. It is *the* number where my isp is looking for..

I'm not very sure "host name" is the correct name for the code, but I'm absolutely positive that the code that was entered in the host name box in my old router is the code that my isp wants to see...
QUOTE Thanks
brammargry

This is btw how the setup page of the time capsule looks like:

"DHCP Client ID" as well as "Domain Name" appear to be useless in this case...

What I expected was a "Cable Modem" option in the "Connect Using" options, but there is only PPPeO and ethernet...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Connect using: Ethernet - will be the correct setting.

It looks as though you do not have the TC attached to the modem supplied by your ISP. The TC is not a modem and you will not be able to attach it direct to the line coming into your house without first going into a modem and from there to the TC via ethernet.

If it is connected to the modem - on the above screen click the update button.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
brammargry

Well, I understand it should be connected to the cable coming from the modem, it was actually like that:

The cable from the wall is a coax-cable, that goes into the cable-modem. Then, this modem has an ethernet-cable that goes into a router. Right now it is connected to an old router, but the only thing I do, is switching the WAN cable from the old router to the Time Capsule. I just have no clue how to set this TC machine up.

I see your point that the modem itself should do the identification, and not the machine hooked-up to the modem. Anyway, I guess I have a strange isp who does this kind of alternative identification..
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The top two lines of the TC should be exactly what you have there - Ethernet and Using DHCP.

Click the update button - close out of Airport Utitlity.

Unplug the TC.

Reset the modem - unplug it for 30 seconds - plug it back in - wait until it's lights are back on.

Make sure the ethernet cable is plugged into the TC.

Then turn on the TC.

(You can't typically go moving that ethernet line from one router to another without resetting the modem. Most of them just won't respond that way in figuring out there is a new router it's connected to and hand out a new IP address.)

QUOTE Thanks
brammargry

aha, thx! I let you know asap after trying it!
QUOTE Thanks
brammargry

thanks bobtomay: problem solved!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

glad to help - i'm not always the best at network stuff

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't get into my router's configuration page | Time Capsule backups won't work after disabling FileVault »