7100/66 attempting to connect to TCP/IP through AAUI-15
    I attempting to connect an industrial punch that uses a PowerMac 7100 / 66 to receive instructions from a CAD/CAM style application running on a WinTel.

The device has an AAUI-15 connector on the back with a converter to an RJ-45 friendly dongle. I have successfully plugged in a CAT 5 cable. The 2 protocols listed are Appletalk 58.1.3 and Localtalk 58.2.2 currently LocalTalk is enabled (when I switch to Ethertalk an error message is received). No MacTCP, can't locate a software bridge, and no visible way of addressing.

My question... Do I need to acquire a hardware bridge to allow for connectivity to a modern 100 Base T Cat 5 connector?

Are there better methods to connect this device to the network?

Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccoy13 View Post
    I attempting to connect an industrial punch that uses a PowerMac 7100 / 66 to receive instructions from a CAD/CAM style application running on a WinTel.

The device has an AAUI-15 connector on the back with a converter to an RJ-45 friendly dongle. I have successfully plugged in a CAT 5 cable. The 2 protocols listed are Appletalk 58.1.3 and Localtalk 58.2.2 currently LocalTalk is enabled (when I switch to Ethertalk an error message is received). No MacTCP, can't locate a software bridge, and no visible way of addressing.

My question... Do I need to acquire a hardware bridge to allow for connectivity to a modern 100 Base T Cat 5 connector?

Are there better methods to connect this device to the network?
    So long as your AAUI-to-10Base-T transciever (that dongle) is working, you should be able to connect just fine. Your 100Base-T switch should automatically scale down to the 10Base-T transciever.

Without knowing what the error message says, I can only guess that the Mac may be missing some networking components. You can download everything up to System 7.5.5 from Apple's support site, which should give you full TCP/IP support. If you want to run Mac OS 8 or newer, try eBay.

When get TCP/IP running, you could place files on an FTP or web server, and then download them from the Mac. Without knowing more about what applications and/or protocols you plan to use, that's the only suggestion I have.

Specs:
    2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
    Is there possibility that a real 10BaseT cable is needed rather than a 100BaseT? I remember having to rewire to take advantage of 100BT but do the older Macs have hardwired expectations for 10BaseT?

I would try plugging the machine into a network to see what it "sees" and connects to. If it can see then the connection/converter is good.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    What os is it running sytem 7, 8 or 9?

you dont need localtalk (which ran over the printer and modem ports), it needs to be using Appletalk

If there is an error you may be able to download a network update from apple, depending on which OS it is running
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    What os is it running sytem 7, 8 or 9?

you dont need localtalk (which ran over the printer and modem ports), it needs to be using Appletalk
    To connect to ethernet hubs you need Appletalk.

Thread Information