New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Backing up old tower and new macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

hey all,

i have an old G4 tower that i still use for my main work. i have a 750gig usb/fw ext hd hooked up to that for back up. i use superduper for that. i also have a macbook that i would like to back up as well to that same ext hd. is there a way to back it up wirelessly thru my tower? i realize i can do a simple drag n drop to my public folder from the macbook and then have superduper pick it up that way, but id like to know if theres a way for the macbook to be backed up on a schedule, wirelessly. thanks in advance.

p.s. i have an airport base station for internet.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

what OS is that G4 running?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

In order to share more than your public folder use Share Points

HornWare: SharePoints

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

ah yes, forgot about Sharepoints. we used to use that here at work before we got a big server.

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

so does that mean i could install superduper on the macbook, and have it back up to whatever "sharepoint" i designate?

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

It will just be a mounted disk, so as long as there is room then yes

QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

awesome. thanks. that should do it. its my wife's macbook and all she would back up would be a bunch of Word docs. thanks again.

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fileserver more reliable than AEBS AirDisk for Time Machine backups? | File sharing between OSX and WinXP »