New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Fileserver more reliable than AEBS AirDisk for Time Machine backups?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

allmarkedup

allmarkedup is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on time machine. At the moment I have an AEBS hooked up to an external hard drive, with two Mac laptops backing up wirelessly to the external HD using time machine. Lovely.

Well it is when it works.... which is not very often.

Basically I am having lots of problems with corrupted backups. I have previously read that this often happens when the AEBS 'airdisk' feature is being used concurrently by two or more Macs.

What I want to know is this: if instead of this setup I connect an old mac via ethernet cable to the AEBS, add the external HD via firewire to this mac, and then set up some sharepoints on the old mac (basically using it as a fileserver machine), will this be more reliable for using as a time machine backup location for my other two macs?

I.e. Will using a 'proper' fileserver help to reduce the frequency of dropped/corrupted backups that I am getting using the HD connected directly to the AEBS?

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have new MacBook and older PC - what router to handle Airport Express? | Backing up old tower and new macbook »