New Apartment- problems with wireless network and macbook
    Hi Guys,

We have two computers,

a MacPro2,1, with an Airport Card: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x87), Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.35)

and a
    MacBook 2,1, Airport Card: Airport Extreme (0x168C. 0x87), current firmware version 1.4.10.3

Our wireless router is a D-Link router, model number D1-524. We're using a cable modem

Our network is called default and has no security

We use firefox and safari.
    --
    We recently moved to a new apartment. At the old apartment, we got our cable from Optimum. At the new apartment, we switched to Time Warner.

Our problem is this. In the old apartment, both the MacPro and the Macbook were able to connect to the internet via the default network. In the new apartment, the MacPro is able to connect. However, the MacBook is not. The computer recognizes the default network, and says it's connected to it. However, whenever we open a browser, it cannot connect to the internet.

We tried plugging the cable directly into the MacBook, which makes it connect to the internet fine.

Any advice?

Thanks so much, and let me know if you need any more information

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    In setting up the Dlink 524 for the Time Warner, did any settings get changed in the router?

If you look in Network, Airport then advanced and TCP/IP on the Macbook, what IP address do you see? Also check the working MBP.

Thanks for the response!

1. I'm not sure.

2. IPv4 Address- 192.168.0.102 (MacBook)
    IPv4 Addresses: 192.168.0.101 (MacPro)

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    What I was trying to see is if somehow when setting up the new Cable DHCP was turned off but that looks right. I have a DI524 here as a backup BTW.

You say you are using no Encryption? Not WEP, WPA but nothing? If so it should work.

One more quick question, where it shows the IPv4 address you posted, what does it say for Router? Knowing the Dlink it should be 192.168.0.1 I would guess.

Nope, no security

Router on both MacPro and Macbook is 192.168.0.1

Just noticed the location for MacPro is "Wall street apartment" and the location for MacBook is "automatic" I tried changing MacPro to "automatic" and it says "airport does not have IP address and cannot connect to internet. However, the internet still works on MacPro with it set to "default"

Thanks for your help!

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    On the MacBook, open System Preferences => Network. Click on Airport at the left, then click the Advanced button at the right. In the AirPort tab, find your network and click the '-' to remove it. Then close System Preferences and reconnect.

If that works, let us know.

Also, you need to get that network secured. Otherwise, you WILL have others hopping on your network. Once there, they can use your network to do many kinds of illegal things that will be traced back to you. Additionally, they can monitor traffic from your machines and collect information about you.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

You might need to reset the settings on the wireless router on your apartment. There might be an error on the wireless router. You might need to check if the LED for the internet is lighting up, it should be lighting up.

Thread Information