New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

OS 10.5 - issues with a wireless n (b/g compatible) network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nick_harambee

nick_harambee is on a distinguished road

hi

i am trying to set up a wireless-n (b/g compatible) wireless network, because even though all my Macs/Apple TV are wireless-n enabled, i want to be able to access the local network on my iPhone, so need to use the b/g compatible mode. the wireless network has been set up on an airport express connected via ethernet to a netgear router. i have another airport express and a time capsule around the house to extend the network (as wireless signals seem to reach much less distance in my current home than i usually experience).

the problems i am experiencing are intermittent slow wireless speeds, which i am presuming is to do with interference from other devices. so i am getting a lot of 'rebuffering stream' messages when connecting to shared iTunes libraries (ports TCP 3689 and UDO 5353 are open), and apple TV keeps dropping/freezing when watching films.

i tried copying a 200MB file from one Mac to another connected to the b/g compatible network and on my first attempt it seemed like the transfer was going to take over an hour, so very very slow. then i tried the same file on a wireless-n only (5GHz) network and it took less than a minute. I then tried out a wireless-n only (2.4GHz) network, but both the second airport express and the time capsule couldn't connect to the network to extend it, and kept flashing orange. Finally I tried a b/g compatible network again and this time it looked like the transfer would take a few minutes (so much quicker than before), but like I've said the problem is intermittent.

so i am wondering what i can do to get the b/g compatible mode working better. i have tried using different channels and still i experience the same problems. i used this equipement in another house in b/g compatible mode without any difficulties

i would be grateful for some help in troubleshooting this issue. i have reset all airport devices and the router to factory settings and still i have the same issue.

thanks

nick

OS X 10.5.7
Mac Pro
2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 Desktop Sawtooth won't connect to network, laptops in house will | Creating a New Mac Network »