New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MAC capable security system with DVR

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hondanation09

hondanation09 is on a distinguished road

OK, I have searched forums endlessly for days trying to find a clear answer. No luck. Figured I would ask RFD.

I want to purchase a security system with DVR HD to monitor my property. I also feel it would be convenient to be able to monitor over the internet.

My network is all Mac. Cable internet provider into Airport extreme and then I have 2 Airport Express stations with an iMac and MacBook Pro. I have found this system which although entry level seems to fit my needs as far as surveillance, but not sure about accessing over the internet:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....20101*&topnav=

It has ethernet port on DVR...so I was wondering if I could hook up ethernet from DVR into Airport express and then someone be able to access video from cameras wirelessly?

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

The current link is not valid.

But, I would e-mail the manufacturers tech support or sales and ask specific questions and/or download the user's guide from their web site.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
hondanation09

hondanation09 is on a distinguished road

here is the link.

H.264 High Performance, Internet Remote Viewing, Day/Night Video Security Surveillance System, LH314321C4, LH314321C4B, LH314321C4F, LOREX | LOREX TECHNOLOGY INC. | Wired Products - CCTV Security Observation Systems, Security Cameras, Surveillance DV

All these systems seem to work with PC when connected directly to computer as it states windows compatible but not Mac.

Just wondering if I connected via airport express if that would work. Video is in H.264 format. Curious to see Mac compatibility.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I would say after a quick review that it is one of those items that will not work except in Windows. The remote viewing says that it requires Internet Explorer. However, they have a big banner saying it's iPhone compatible.

You may get lucky and find someone here with experience with that particular brand and model. But, with that type of investment, I'd still recommend contacting them direct and asking a few questions. They even have live online chat. It'd be a real drag buying something like that, setting it up and then finding out it won't work.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Poor Man's VFN | Network Proposal help »